oct-19 lenses on Konvas 1m. Adapters?

Michael Mann

Hi,

The lack of follow focus on the 1m is becoming a bit of an issue for me - and I was wondering if anyone had heard of an adapter to overcome this?

alternatively I was hoping to find a 35OPF16E motorised zoom lens for oct18, but I understand this is unlikely as well.

Has anyone made an adapter for a 1M to use oct-19 lenses? This would seem a cheaper option than modifying the camera housing, which I understand can also be done.

Thanks,

Mike.

Hi,

The lack of follow focus on the 1m is becoming a bit of an issue for me - and I was wondering if anyone had heard of an adapter to overcome this?

alternatively I was hoping to find a 35OPF16E motorised zoom lens for oct18, but I understand this is unlikely as well.

Has anyone made an adapter for a 1M to use oct-19 lenses? This would seem a cheaper option than modifying the camera housing, which I understand can also be done.

Thanks,

Mike.

The OCT-18 mount has a smaller diameter than the OCT-19 mount so an adapter is not possible HOWEVER the front plate can be changed out to one with an OCT-19 mount. I did see a follow focus that was set up to work with a 1M turret, I think it was on Ebay and used the more modern OCT-18 lenses not the older mouse eared lenses. It was built by someone and it's the only one Ive ever seen. I prrbably should have bought it but I didn't have the bread at the time AND he wanted a lot more than it was worth in my opinion. B)

Where are you located? Perhaps someone can recommend a local shop to convert your camera and lenses to OCT-19, or perhaps even PL. Personally, I'd probably go PL.

-- J.S.

Sadly I'm in Norway: facilities are few and far between, and cost of labour is extremely high.

As it is, I'm happy enough with the 1M mostly, and the oct 18 lenses I have (The usual 28-35-50-75-135mm set, and a Lenar2 zoom Im pretty happy with) are fine for most of what i do.. Also there seems to be a significant price difference between oct-18 and other lenses anyway - part of the reason I want to stay oct-18, as its more reasonable.

I do miss follow focus though.. andmy budget doesnt go beyond 1000 dollars, which barely pays for the lens that I want.

Thanks for the responses,

m.

Olex in Ukraine will be your most convenient source for this kind of work. There are lots of his posts in this forum, so see what he can do for you on your budget.

-- J.S.

Thank you for high opinion about my service.

Sorry, I don't have special turret disk of Konvas-1M with OST-19 lens mount.

A some time ago, Sergey ( sergastr@list.ru, sergastr@yahoo.com )

had similar special turret disk for sell.

The similar special turret disk had for sell other guys too.

But, As for my opinion, the better, to buy Konvas-2M body with OST-19 lens mount.

Thank you for high opinion about my service.

Sorry, I don't have special turret disk of Konvas-1M with OST-19 lens mount.

A some time ago, Sergey ( sergastr@list.ru, sergastr@yahoo.com )

had similar special turret disk for sell.

The similar special turret disk had for sell other guys too.

But, As for my opinion, the better, to buy Konvas-2M body with OST-19 lens mount.

Well, dont argue with wisdom as they say :-)

One last desperate attempt:

How difficult would it be to convert an Oct19 lens if I had a spare OCt18 that we could cannibalize the mount from?

I'm almost tempted to gaffer tape a solution :-)

Even if it were possible, which I doubt, not worth the trouble and ESPECIALLY not worth the expense. The whole point of Commiecams is it's fully professional equipment at a fraction of the cost of it's western equivalent. Let me ask you a question, what do you have against OCT-18 mount lenses? They work really well and and are amazingly inexpensive. They are as good as anything of the era, including the Schneider lenses. A piece of advice, stop trying to reinvent the wheel, just embrace the turret lenses for what they are, recognize their strengths and their weaknesses (which are pretty minimal) and design you film with their particular characteristics in mind. I picked up a FULL set (35,50 and 75mm) of 2 piece anamorphic lenses for my KSR-1 for $500 bucks and a 300 mm in near mint condition for under a hundred. I've see zooms go for under a grand and anamorphic adapters for them equally as in expensive. At some point I'm going to buy an OCT-19 to OCT-18 adapter so I can utilize these great lenses on my larger cameras. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Hi James - thanks for the response.

I have nothing against OCT-18 except I want follow focus: its an important function I want to use, and I miss it. With the 1m I find focussing fiddly, particularly for long shots, and want focus transition to be less unpredicable. The original lens I'm looking at has an electric motor, but was never an OCT-18 model.

Oct 19 lenses reached a higher professional level: The more modern lomos are OCT-19 only as far as I understand.. particularly the better zooms.

Also, I think the higher quality OCT-18 lenses are disappearing, as the Oct_18 to PL adapters are more widely available. Once upon a time OCT18s were the budget lomos, as the conversion from this mount to PL and others was deemed tricker than OCT19 to PL. As you are probably aware, they were even cheaper than the OCT-19s.

For all but the most basic 18s however, this is no longer the case: the budget anamorphics have all but dissapeared in the past year or two for OCt-18,, but you still see them commanding ridiculous prices with adapters for RED etc..

I think its a shame: in retrospect I should have agressively built my lens collection when I first got the camera :-)

When I think of the anamorphics I let slip away....

Cheers,

m

Yes, it is true the 2 piece anamorphics have jumped up dramatically, but they are still a bargain for the price. RED has totally F^#ked up the market. The more modern OCT-18s can be made to work with a FF although for the expense, I hardly think it's worth it. A 1st should be able to mark the barrel and pull focus old school without much of an emotional break down, after all, we must make some concessions to indy (translate as low budget) film production. GREAT modern OCT-18 lenses can be had at about a hundred bucks each. I don't really see OCT-19 lenses as "superior" merely different although, I DID ask Olex about mixing footage from my KSR-1 and my 2 Kinor 35mm s and he told me I wouldn't have any problem.

IF the OCT-19 mount and a FF is that much of an issue for you, Olex is also right, a 2M is fairly affordable without a lens package for around a grand. You could take your time and built a package or get a Kinor 35 H or C for about 5 to 7 grand.

I plan on using my KSR with a Rafcamera video tap I picked up from Ian Dudley at a very generous price (Thanks again, Ian)on my Hollywood lite steadicam with 175 ft. loads. It will probably come close to maxing out the arm but just within tolerances is good enough and the Hollywood lite is far less expensive than bigger rigs and if the video footage is any indication, it is very smooth when set correctly.

Edited by James Steven Beverly