Aerial Filming with Varicam

Nick Davidson

I have owned and shot with the Varicam for nearly a year now and love the camera. However, I recently shot some aerials using the Tyler Mount and when we checked the images I found a lot of drop out on the footage. Every second or two there would be a series of thin white lines accross the image, rendering the footage basically unusable. I was informed by the Tyler mount people that this was because the panasonic does not deal well with Vibration. (there was not a great deal of this) However Panasonic told me that it was to do with radio interference. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on this as I have another aerial job booked next month and would like to use the tyler nose mount again with the varicam,

cheers nick davidson

Were you recording to an outboard deck?

I recall years ago shooting helicopter footage and recording to a Digibeta deck The footage had the same problem that you described, although the lines were black. The problem turned out to be the low (too low for Digibeta) S/N ratio in the signal path from camera to deck. (We were shooting with a gimbal mount nose camera in a housing.) The pilot and shooter, both experenced in helicopter shooting, had never seen anything like it. The noise in the signal was within acceptable limits of SP, but the Digibeta just wouldn't make a picture when it rose above a certain point. There's a ton of RF in a helicopter from all of the navigational and radio hardware. Try mounting the camera in the Tyler, then turn on all of the electronics in the ship. You should be able to see the problem if it's from the RF. Roll some tape with nat cockpit sound and use the radio/intercom. Does the problem come and go as the intercom/radio is used? You should see this on the tape as you hear the intercom in use.

I would think if vibration was the problem, you'd have an image that was also unusable from vibration.

Good luck and post back when you track down the problem.

• 3 weeks later...
I have owned and shot with the Varicam for nearly a year now and love the camera. However, I recently shot some aerials using the Tyler Mount and when we checked the images I found a lot of drop out on the footage. Every second or two there would be a series of thin white lines accross the image, rendering the footage basically unusable. I was informed by the Tyler mount people that this was because the panasonic does not deal well with Vibration. (there was not a great deal of this) However Panasonic told me that it was to do with radio interference. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on this as I have another aerial job booked next month and would like to use the tyler nose mount again with the varicam,

cheers nick davidson

Hi Nick,

radio interference in helicopters usually affects the whole picture and is quite vibrant in its motion. Sometimes it is only apparent in shadows. Also it is usually always evident on the monitor whilst you are shooting.

It usually only happens when pilot transmitts, but their can be other mre sustanted causes of RF interference.

Also I do not know of a case where the picture was affected by radio interference but interference not present on monitor, ie it is unlikely that radio intererence creeps into the recorder section.

So did you see it on the monitor?

Other possibilities

1/ airflow entering camera and lifting the tape off the heads.

2/ an intermittent connection in the recorder section (that may not be evident on the monitor)

3/ Interference from external RF, flying close to radio mast for example but again this usually evident on monitor.

4/ Vibration of aircraft has been suggested as cause of picture breakup on f900 on tyler nose mounts.

5/ Something flapping about causing a vibration on the camera, ie loose cable.

To test for physical integrety of a camera record a few thumps, vibrations shakes and taps on the camera when its on ground.

Finally Sony is inept at figuring out causes of problems on location and telling us about them.

Maybe Panasonic is different.

cheers

Mike Brennan

cheers nick davidson

Hi Nick,

radio interference in helicopters usually affects the whole picture and is quite vibrant in its motion. Sometimes it is only apparent in shadows. Also it is usually always evident on the monitor whilst you are shooting.

It usually only happens when pilot transmitts, but their can be other mre sustanted causes of RF interference.

Also I do not know of a case where the picture was affected by radio interference but interference not present on monitor, ie it is unlikely that radio intererence creeps into the recorder section.

So did you see it on the monitor?

Other possibilities

1/ airflow entering camera and lifting the tape off the heads.

2/ an intermittent connection in the recorder section (that may not be evident on the monitor)

3/ Interference from external RF, flying close to radio mast for example but again this usually evident on monitor.

4/ Vibration of aircraft has been suggested as cause of picture breakup on f900 on tyler nose mounts.

5/ Something flapping about causing a vibration on the camera, ie loose cable.

To test for physical integrety of a camera record a few thumps, vibrations shakes and taps on the camera when its on ground.

Finally Sony is inept at figuring out causes of problems on location and telling us about them.

Maybe Panasonic is different.

cheers

Mike Brennan

• 5 months later...

cheers nick davidson

I realize your post is old, but here is my resent experience with an astar/ tyler side mount with gyro and microwave link of SD to the ground. NO PROBLEMS. Microwave link was a rental from Total RF so I can't commment on the specifics, but all worked flawless.

J