bleach bypass

greg harris

question #2 from the new guy, i've loved so many films with the bleach bypass process and my film school friends have roughly outlined the process. i read the "21 grams look" forum question which leads me to the stills guy question... how do i get my lab to bleach bypass my film (i.e. 120 or large format film)? can i? is the c41 process able to be manipulated in this way? i did hear that maybe a stills lab would be reluctant to process in this way because of the effect it would have on the chemistry in the machine. the range of processes CCE, ACE etc sounds enticing but i'm not sure if it's at all possible. any advice would be grand... cheers

Guest Sean McVeigh
question #2 from the new guy, i've loved so many films with the bleach bypass process and my film school friends have roughly outlined the process. i read the "21 grams look" forum question which leads me to the stills guy question... how do i get my lab to bleach bypass my film (i.e. 120 or large format film)? can i? is the c41 process able to be manipulated in this way? i did hear that maybe a stills lab would be reluctant to process in this way because of the effect it would have on the chemistry in the machine. the range of processes CCE, ACE etc sounds enticing but i'm not sure if it's at all possible. any advice would be grand... cheers

Hmm.. judging from the sounds of it, I'd say you skip the bleach step :)

C-41 process is:

-develop

-bleach

-fix

-stabilize

Doing it at home may be possible.. although I know that my C41 kits typically combine the bleach/fix into one step (blix).

A good pro lab may have some hand processing options that you could take advantage of.

You could always try processing it as B&W.. might yield interesting results.

- or alternately, roll your own 120s from a 70mm motion picture stock and have a motion picture lab run it for you?

Sean

Edited by Sean McVeigh