3-D and green screen

Jeremy M Lundborg

I have very little experience in 3-D photography yet am being thrust into the middle of a project with that intention.

Some of the shots are against a green screen, nothing complicated in terms of movement, but my concern is with the overall composite.

This is surely fodder for a meeting with the vfx department, but I thought I would ask before hand if anyone here had any experience and could offer any advice or pitfalls to watch out for on set.

In my estimation it would work best with measured convergence and compatible i/o for both shots, according to the intended depth of the final shot. My concern is the practical effect of compositing a depth oriented plate into a depth oriented shot.

Thanks.

Edited by Jeremy M Lundborg

• Premium Member

I have very little experience in 3-D photography yet am being thrust into the middle of a project with that intention.

Some of the shots are against a green screen, nothing complicated in terms of movement, but my concern is with the overall composite.

This is surely fodder for a meeting with the vfx department, but I thought I would ask before hand if anyone here had any experience and could offer any advice or pitfalls to watch out for on set.

In my estimation it would work best with measured convergence and compatible i/o for both shots, according to the intended depth of the final shot. My concern is the practical effect of compositing a depth oriented plate into a depth oriented shot.

Thanks.

Green screen compositing is not disimilar from 2d, basically if your plates are shot correctly with the same setup then they will comp well, if not then no, as far as convergence goes shoot the same and any post convergence will sort it self out. however i do recommend getting your fx crew to take a look at ocula on nuke as it will help match up any discrepencies in the keying (and misalignment/ geometrics and color shift) which can be a major problem in 3d.