Good deal on Ebay

Jonathan Spear

Hey,

Check this Super-35 Konvas 2M kit out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...3871149609&rd=1

I'm interested in buying this kit, but I've heard horror stories about Konvas cameras (especially ones purchased on Ebay) and a Super 35 modified camera with a tripod, 8 lenses and other accesories @1,000-2,000$ seems like a pretty good deal for a first (super) 35mm kit doesn't it... or is it too good to be true?

Any info advice will be greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks.

• Premium Member
Hey,

I'm interested in buying this kit, but I've heard horror stories about Konvas cameras (especially ones purchased on Ebay) and a Super 35 modified camera with a tripod, 8 lenses and other accesories @1,000-2,000$ seems like a pretty good deal for a first (super) 35mm kit doesn't it... or is it too good to be true?

Thanks.

never heard of a 2m being converted to s35mm, plus interchangeable gate?? I'd chat to the seller.

Keith

Guest DEMUTIGER
Hey,

Thanks.

I emailed the seller. The Konvas is not Super 35- the seller is confused. He's simply including an anamorphic gate along with the standard gate.

I watch the Konvas packages on ebay regularly just to see what comes up and what things are selling for. I've been slowly building up an Anamorphic MOS 35 package for cheap this way. I'm not saying this is true in every case, but when you have a camera auction with misspellings and incorrect information it's usually a red flag. The kicker being that this particular individual has questionable feedback from other sellers, and no feedback from buyers. There are all kinds of fraud alerts from camera buyers and sellers on the Konvas user group. The only accepted payments are personal check or money order too. Which might be ok if you plan to hand deliver the payment and pick up the camera at the same time. If it is legitimate, It shouldn't go for less then $3500 to $4500 even with the sketchy factor. I've bid on some shady stuff before, but I would definitely hesitate with that auction.

The gates on Konvas cameras are easily interchangeable. There are a number of different gates out there, so getting either an anamorphic or S-35 gate isn't a problem. I've got a Konvas with both an Academy gate and an anamorphic gate, very easy to swap around.

The problem, as I understand it, is that recentering the lens mount for S-35 is difficult and would have to be a custom job if it could be done at all. It seems that many of the people who buy these cameras like to tinker with them and do custom mods (as 35mm cameras go, they're cheap enough to play with), so someone is probably working on it. You can visit Commiecam or the Smartgroups Konvas list if you're interested in these cameras.

I purchased a Konvas 7M myself a little while ago and I've been putting together a small anamorphic kit as well. Except for a few tests (which came out pretty well), I've been shooting all 4x3 stuff for telecine and the results are great. Granted this is the only 35mm camera I've had the pleasure of using, but that's why I bought it.

• 2 weeks later...

ok ive just got to ask, yes I was looking also at konvas 35 cameras on ebay hehehe, but 7M? that the new model out?

not even on commiecam did I find it, still....

compared to an ARRI if anyone has used both, would you recommend the Konvas 35 mil? as yes a cheap alternative to regular priced cameras, and say PL mount adaptation meybe, thing that im looking for in commiekam but havent found (will try later though)

just maybe if yiou could help me with some feedback on how konvas keeps steady and handling if you can

thanks!!!

PS. AHA!!! found the PL mod muhahahaha!!!!

zoyuski rodina!!!!

The gates on Konvas cameras are easily interchangeable [...] The problem, as I understand it, is that recentering the lens mount for S-35 is difficult and would have to be a custom job if it could be done at all.

Not to try and redirect the conversation, but I was just thinking along a similar line; I have a Cameflex CM3, which also has easy to change mask. I was thinking that I could have the gate shaved to Super35 and be able to swap out the regular 35mm mask and super 35mm mask whenever needed. The camera has a turret system with three mounts, so I could leave the current PL mount for regular 35 and swap one of the other mounts for another PL but off-center it for super. Thus leaving my camera ready to shoot both formats and able to change in matter of seconds. Is there a flaw in my theory that anyone can think of?