'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' FX/Shooting Script

Joe Taylor

I've recently come into possession of a typed manuscript that has volumes of technical info about the production of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind." This volume certainly was not published but found unbound in a box from an estate sale. I've had this for about 10 years and have only just recently realized what it was but I'm wondering if it is anything significant.

An example of what this find: "Sketch Book" with Take info: 5 Takes 1) nga 2) inc nga 28 3) com Print L:00 (reload) and so on. Then there's a description of the shot: 7/22/76 - dam 65mm matte with 40mm lens of Doug T. Hi shot from up on rocks, shooting down past Neary in f.g in field below. Neary starts down rocks as on Matte black backing we see Cuboids moving around. There's literally hundreds of pages like this, with handwritten notes. Then in another box with several revised shooting scripts, also with handwritten notes. One from 5/14/76 another from 5/10/76.

I'm not the most knowledgeable person on the production of Close Encounters, so I'm wondering if anybody knows if this info has ever been published?