Shooting Skiers (while skiing)

chris pyle

I am going to be shooting a documentary that will require me to shoot some skiing footage. I am hoping to capture skiers while skiing next to them, behind them, and infront of them, as well as some POV. I will most likely be using a DVX100A for these shots...the rest of the film will be shot with an SDX900. Does anyone have any experience with this? I am pondering how to keep the shots steady. Some kind of steady-pod perhaps? I've seen Warren Miller's guys use a small camera on the end of a long pole. Would love to hear from anyone who has thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Chris Pyle

Wildland Films

Two words:

WILLY BOGNER.

You've seen all the James Bond films he worked on (ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE, SPY WHOL OVED ME, FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, A VIEW TO A KILL)- he has a very simple technique of going downhill with a handheld camera held between his legs. The last James Bond film to have a skiing sequence, THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH, had no Bogner participation, hence it looks like students making a travelogue.

Also, check out Bogner's work on the German action films FIRE AND ICE, FIRE ICE AND DYNAMITE and WHITE MAGIC.

http://www.bogner.com/

Bogner also sells heavy anount os ski wear merchandise these days...

Now of course this guy is also a world class skier in his own right, but I'm sure going through consultation with him would do your project wonders. Bogner is certainly the most experienced person in the world when it comes to filming skiiers in action.