Monsters

Saw Monsters yesterday on iTunes. They have a test right now where they have premieres at the same time or before they go up on theaters at a higher price. It is just Monsters and I'm Still Here, so I guess only Magnolia are doing this but if it works I hope it will catch on. I mean, there is nothing like seeing a movie on the big screen but I think the industry as a whole is better served with all these time and region restrictions gone. Did an article about it at my site too.

Anyway, so I rented this film just seeing the trailer some time ago not realizing exactly what it was. And it was fantastic. When I like movies I usually read up on them and a bit and boy was I surprised. It is an independent $15000 diy with a ex3 and an adapter movie! Very impressive. He did the effects himself on a computer at home. Done just as a lot of us work. This is what the new generation is doing, just doing it.

Despite the title the film is more about characters than monsters, but what monsters! When in the end you see them as a whole for the first time(as I remember it) I just fell in love with them. Really cool lovecraftian tentacle beasts with giant squid heads.

The cinematography was just great. Even though I rented the SD version as I have had problem renting the HD ones since I moved to a new house, I guess I have my wifi too far from my appleTV. I guess a lot are going to have an issue with the adapter generation style use of the focus plane, but I thought it fitted the pacing and was quite beautiful.

Edited by klas persson