Arri 35 III Mag Trouble

Jayson Crothers

• Premium Member

Hey Everyone~

I'm doing a few inserts for a recent shoot on an Arri 35 III and we're having some serious trouble with our 1000' mag.

In short, the take up only works intermittently - I'll get 10-15' of take up fine, but then it stops rotating and the film starts spooling up in the mag - we had no problem at check out, but this problem couldn't be solved tonite for our one shot.

Since these inserts are so few, we have a package that's essentially a freebie, and with it being the weekend, calling tech support at the rental house is dicey - I can have our AC break down a 1000' roll into the 400' mags, but I like her and would like to avoid such abuse if possible. =)

Any advice, thoughts, obvious things that I'm just not smart enough to be catching?

Thanks.

Sounds like the takeup clutch is out of adjustment. That's a rental house repair - and something they should check before every mag goes out.

In my experience, 1000' foot mags on Arri3's and on 435's are just bad news and are to be avoided at any cost.

Rather than having your AC break down your 1000's, get your lab to do it (and remember that an Arri3 mag holds 500 feet, not 400!).