Comment on my reel?

Ian Coad

So I've debated for the past three years of film school (graduated in may) about what sort of reel I wanted to have. Most people seem to shoot for the fast paced, swath of entertaining images. The end result is mish-mosh of contextual-less imagery, which often tells little about the stylistic approach to the material and ultimately about the cinematographers contribution to the film. Leading me to wonder, is an effort to entertain the viewer completely missing the point? Although slightly different, when I've looked for steadicam operators in the past, it's been completely about their intuitive abilities and their operating skill - making the editing, music and pacing of the reels irrelevant. Is it foolish to think that someone looking for a DP might feel the same way? I wonder, do people actually turn off reels because they are bored with the video, aren't they instead unimpressed by the material?

Anyway, comment on the question or on the reel which you can view here: http://vimeo.com/15522331