Cinemascope

Todd Turner

Hello,

I'm shooting my next feature using 'cinemascope' and want to know if anyboby has any tips or advice for me.

Is there an adapter that goes between the camera and lens? Is cinemascope similiar to shooting with anamorphic lenses. What is the stop compensation? How does this affect focus? What is the aspect ratio of cinemascope?

• Premium Member

"CinemaScope" was a copyrighted name owned by 20th Century Fox. In 35mm photography, it means shooting with anamorphic lenses with a standard 2X horizontal compression -- the anamorphic element that squeezes the image is built into the lenses.

The first CinemaScope movies did use an attachment but that idea was dropped since it required the attachment to be focused independently of the spherical lens it was attached to.

You should be looking for anamorphic lenses for a 35mm camera.

People sometimes use anamorphic adaptors on consumer DV cameras to squeeze a 16x9 image onto the 4x3 CCD. These have a 1.33X squeeze, not 2X like CinemaScope.

• Premium Member

Standard SMPTE 195 specifies the "scope" projectable image area to be 0.825 x 0.690 inches, which with a 2X anamorphic lens works out to a 2.39:1 aspect ratio.

You can shoot with an anamorphic lens on the camera (e.g., Panavision), or shoot with a spherical lens, usually in the "Super-35" format, and do the "squeeze" in an optical printer or digital intermediate.

Here is the history of CinemaScope:

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/wingcs1.htm