Long Lenses

J. Anthony Gonzales

• Premium Member

Kurosawa's films starting in the late 1950's. He sort of started the trend of shooting battle scenes with telephoto lenses.

Geoffrey Unsworth was fond of long lenses and shot much of "A Bridge Too Far" with them. Attenborough used them a lot for "Gandhi".

Ridley and Tony Scott, obviously.

• Premium Member
Kurosawa's films starting in the late 1950's.  He sort of started the trend of shooting battle scenes with telephoto lenses.

Wasn't it Kurosawa who regualrly shot with 500mm anamorphic and stopped down to T22 to get depth? Like a tableau, almost.

There's one, just one, absolutely great shot in Spy Game where the camera does a very low, long dolly across a platform on a station as some train is departing or coming in (can't remember). It looks surreal - must have been something like a 500mm fully stopped down.

Check out Abbas Kiarostami's "The Wind Will Carry Us." Save one shot, filmed entirely with telephoto anamorphics, and in very, very long takes. Not sure of the details, but really just a stunningly beautiful film. Very rentable as well, but I'm not sure what the transfer looks like as I only saw it projected a couple years ago.

Check out Abbas Kiarostami's "The Wind Will Carry Us." Save one shot, filmed entirely with telephoto anamorphics, and in very, very long takes. Not sure of the details, but really just a stunningly beautiful film. Very rentable as well, but I'm not sure what the transfer looks like as I only saw it projected a couple years ago.