On Darius Wolski and The Crow

DavidSloan

Hey guys, I did a google search, as well as a search on this site, but couldn't find any information regarding Wolski's work on: The Crow. If anyone has any technical information .i.e., stock, lenses, camera, filters, post, I would be very greatful.

Thanks a lot! :)

Hey guys, I did a google search, as well as a search on this site, but couldn't find any information regarding Wolski's work on: The Crow.  If anyone has any technical information .i.e., stock, lenses, camera, filters, post, I would be very greatful.

You might want to contact someone at Joe Dunton's company in Wilmington NC. That's where the picture was shot, and I believe they were the camera vendor. If not, they'll probably be able to put you in touch with some of the crew, a number of them are still there. I don't know if the art department would be of help, but John Kretschmer is still there, working on One Tree Hill (he was lead man on The Crow). You can find him through the production office. Call EUE/Screen Gems Studios in Wilmington and ask.

I gaffed the Crow. I believe we used 5293 and 5296. Darius is still a good friend and I will ask him some more details. We also used a yellowing filter (possibly a straw) on the camera to be timed out later. Blue when timed out would become to electric, so the color blue was not allow on set. Over all we kept the color to a minimum. The night scence were lit mainly with tungsten. HMI's definately too blue. We did use Joe Duncan, but I do not remember the exact package.

Nice to see you here, Claudio. My compliments to you and Darius Wolski. I think that The Crow, is an extraordinary achivement in cinematography.

If you get a chance to speak with Mr.Wolski:

What kind of post path the film under went?

Is that rusty look due to the straw filter? (why put it on and time it out?)

Was anything done to the stock..push, pull, skip bleach, etc..?

Type of lenses?

Thank you very much for visiting this forum! I'm often amazed at the people who post here.

Edited by DavidSloan

I just spoke to Darek. We did put a sepia filter in to time out. What it did for them was to limit the color space. Blue was the only issue and that was why we avoided that color. Film stock was either 5296 or 5295 probably 5295. He was not really sure. Normal process through out. Shot with Arri using normal Zeiss lenes. 1:85 aspect. Hope that helps somewhat.

Claudio: I just looked at your site (thanks Jayson) and I nearly pissed myself! You are an 'A list' DP; those music videos/commercials you've shot look absolutely amazing. The David Fincher/Nike film strips is one of my favorite commericals. I totally feel like I'm brown nosing, but I can't help it. You're doing the kind of stuff I WANT TO DO! :)

Thank you, again. I hope you will impart some knowledge, here.

I probably will not get the film untill later, then I'll put a cut down version on the site. There is still more work to be done. The Sundance version was not quite done. We will probably do one more color timing pass of the film along with some tweaking a couple of effects shots. I did not attend the screening at Sundance because I was having a baby at the time. I would have love to have gone. It seems to have been well received.