Anyone ever use a multitrack digital for audio?

Guest jeremy edge

Guest jeremy edge

i've seen a lot of people use 1/4 inch tape ,dat even mini-disc or mp3 for recording audio on location for low budjet films.

But how about an all in one multi track station?

They're getting cheap now and you even have a built in mixer and mic pre.

You could even record more than one mic on different tracks simultaneously and even go back and add some great ambient noise while you're there on additional tracks(traffic ,birds crickets etc.) then you could dump down onto pc later.

For example:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/...ase_pid/241106/

or

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/...ase_pid/242089/

offers 4 tracks simultaneous recording!

Just an idea.

Anyone try somthing like that?

Edited by jeremy edge

I've done it, but honestly, it's just too time consuming to set up multiple mics for dialog, ambient, FX, etc., at a shoot, plus you have to hide more mics that way, so when you do your reverse shots, you're having to move a bunch of mics, etc.

Too much hassle.

I have, however shot my scenes, then made everyone leave or shut up, while I record several minutes of ambient sound, then run around grabbing foley that would have happened in the scene, like if someone comes through a door, sets a coffee cup down, footsteps if it's a unique surface they walk on, etc.

Sometimes you don't have the time, but I find this takes much less time than sifting through sound FX cd's during editing, trying out 20 different door slams to find one that fits, etc.

At least this way, you KNOW it's the right door slam!

Whatever you do, don't use an analog format, unless it's crystal sync like a Nagra.

I made this mistake on my first film, and trying to sync dialog with picture was a freakin' nightmare I don't ever want to repeat!

I now use a Minidisc recorder, which isn't the best thing, but it works great for my own stuff, and it's cheap, it's small & light, sounds plenty good enough for all my audio (except music), and easy to use.

Matt Pacini

• Premium Member
The last few studio shoots I've done, they used DA-88 as the recording format.  records 8 channels which means you can get separate tracks for everyone if you mic that deeply.

Yup, the sitcoms went to DA-88 from 1/2" analog years ago. I don't remember exactly the year, but it was when DA-88 was quite new.

-- J.S.

Guest jeremy edge

If you're using a mini disc ,you're bringing in an external mixer right?

What about compression? Don't you get clipping?

Being mostly an audio guy and newer to film i just find it odd that i'm picking up film books and theyre saying to use a mini disc or dat.When the price of some of these field recorders is the price of a decent all in one workstation.even using one mic....you have a built in mic pre-amp, some eq and maybe even some compression to get good levels without clipping.(on some units).not to mention better than cd qaulity(24 bit or 20 bit) ...mini disc is inferior qaulity to cd.

Being an audio stickler ,if I were recording voice on dat I'd still have to bring a small mixer(for good mic pre and eq) and an outboard compressor. If anyone is thinking about using a portable mp3 or minidisc you cant just buy an xlr adaptor and plug the mic into the recorder and set your level....You'll get weak levels or lots of clipping.And digital clipping sounds badddd...

Actually I didn't think any of those were digital AND battery operated until just recently. There really wouldn't be any reason you couldn't use it. I've been using a consumer DAT with AC power and a small mixer to record a documentary and it works well but we are always in a small area with power handy. What you get with pro DAT's is portability.

I also know an audio guy that has two HHB studio DAT's on his cart with some special invertor situation that will run those things all day. Works fine for most stuff.

Edited by J. Lamar King

Jeremy, I use a Minidisc because it's really cheap, and for dialog it's more than enough quality.

The human voice has a fairly limited frequency response for speech.

I do have a small Fostex battery powered mixer with compression, because yeah, you're right, you will get clipping if you're not careful, and of course, that happens, and there's nothing worse than digital clipping!

MP

Guest jeremy edge

"I do have a small Fostex battery powered mixer with compression"

Wow that sounds like a handy little device. i've never seen one of those.

Whats the model ?