Slow motion

Duncan Buckley

Im interested in doing some slow motion effects but i have some questions about this. First off as a student im unable to afford high quality equipment but i want to practice before i start to rent . I own a K-3 which is fun but its fastest speed is 48fps.

When i use video i can slow regular 25fps footage down to 3-4 times original speed using plugins in After effects. The quality is ok but i'd like better.

Im thinking maybe a Bolex or Beaulieu which record at 64fps would probably suit me and using After Effects aswell i can get a decent slow motion shot.

Is there a better way of doing this?

Thank you

In camera slow motion is always smoother because it is true slow motion instead of frames repeated by a computer. Every time you double the frame rate you need 1 stop more light to hit the film. So for example with f4 at 24fps you would need f2.8 at 48fps, f2 at 96fps etc.

Super high speed cameras require alot of film and lubrication after every shot and this is prohibitively expensive for most indy productions.

16mm cameras that go up to 150fps are common and 150fps or 75fps can yield cool lookng results depending on what you are shooting.

I will be filming martial art sequences and other extreme physical movements. Looking to see the movement in detail hence the slow motion. I have some other projects that are screaming out for this aswell. Im not making films here just experimental madness!

16mm cameras that go up to 150fps! Where would i find these?

Cheers for the info Dan :D

This forum is great a great resource, i look through the posts everyday.

Thanks again

When i use video i can slow regular 25fps footage down to 3-4 times original speed using plugins in After effects. The quality is ok but i'd like better.

Just a comment on the After Effects part of this equation: have you tried a plug in called Twixtor? It will create frames between the existing frames of your footage, rather than just make a frame from one of the video fields. I used it to slow down archival footage for a doc I did. It can create some really wierd morphing effects too, if you are not carefull, or if that is what you want.

Theo

Bozeman, MT

Aha! Someone else who likes plugins :D

Twixtor is a great little tool for slowing footage, you have to work hard to get a really great result but otherwise its ace!

Had a look for those cameras... expensive! But you have to pay for quality at the end of the day.

I will have to think it over...

Ive seen ads for a Photosonics KB19A converted into a high speed camera but what sort of quality would it be??