Moire

Kris Denton

Has anyone had any issues with moire with the SDX?

If so did you set up the camera a certain way to resolve the issue?

I have just had a producer call about some footage we shot last week that has moire patterns where you would not normally see them....on some trees for instance behind an interview subject.

My thanks in advance.

Kris Denton

DP

LA

• Premium Member
Has anyone had any issues with moire with the SDX?

If so did you set up the camera a certain way to resolve the issue?

I have just had a producer call about some footage we shot last week that has moire patterns where you would not normally see them....on some trees for instance behind an interview subject.

My thanks in advance.

Kris Denton

DP

LA

Kris -

Were you shooting in a progressive mode (24P, 24PA, 30P) with V.RES set to PROGRESSIVE instead of INTERLACE (these are all settings on the SYSTEM menu.)?

When intending to finish for NTSC, you generally should have the V.RES set to INTERLACE, on this setting the camera filters the vertical resolution down to about 360 lines, which gets rid of the moire-like artifacting you describe.

Use V.RES PROGRESSIVE when planning to upconvert to HD, film-out or if you plan on filtering out that extra vertical resolution later.

I love this camera, but the nomenclature Panasonic chose for this feature can obviously be a bit confusing, in the DVX100 they call it "Thick" (INTERLACE) or "Thin" (PROG). Personally, I think it might be better if they just called it "V.RES FILTER" and you could set it to "ON" or "OFF."

J