Geforce Work for Avid

Kevin Sandler

• Premium Member

Well, Avid's site says it requires a Quadro. I presume you knew this.

Back in the day, it was often possible to run the Quadro drivers on NV's gamer boards, either directly or with trivial hardware modifications that anyone could do with a soldering iron. Whether this is still possible, or is still necessary, I don't know.

Strictly speaking the answer is therefore no. As a practical matter, maybe.

But then I presume you knew that too :)

Much as I hate to promulgate piracy, it strikes me that this is the perfect time for what we might politely term a trial run.

P

Yeah I understand technically speaking no. I'm pretty sure I can download a trial version from the website and I'll give it a shot. I feel like it should run. Unfortunately I don't have the money to put out for a Quadro or I would. Does anyone know if Premier or another editing software would run on my GTX? The only reason I asked for Avid is because that's what I'm familiar with.

• Premium Member

Quadros are a bit spendy, yes. It really depends on exactly what features the software uses, and how the drivers differ (if they do). I can't believe someone on the internet hasn't tried this and written about his experiences, but you certainly should, either way.

I'm sure Premiere would be fine on the hardware but if you're an Avid guy then it probably won't be quite what you're used to. I like Premiere very much, I think it actually takes a rather more straightforward approach than Final Cut (which is more like Avid) or Avid itself. Certainly any of them will do a competent job, it isn't really about huge features being missing these days - they're all workable. Whether you personally like it or not is another matter.

P

• Premium Member

In some of their support information Avid does allow as how some GeForce cards will work with their systems. I was successful in using a GeForce 7800GS AGP card with Media Composer 3.5 in a Windows XP computer running a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 processor. 7800GS cards are going for as little as $25 Buy-it-Now on eBay.

I'm on MC5 now but with an HP XW8400 with a QuadroFX 3400 in it.

Obviously YMMV