MATTE BOX?

BILLY PAUL

To add a 4x4 matte box I would require :-

Support interface                           GBP 64.00

Support Bars with extenders          GBP184.00

Matte Box                                    GBP350.00

Do I need this stuff on my Bolex EL? I am new to this film and don't understand the purpose of extra expense. Please inform.

Also, taking the advise I received here, I'm thinking about buying a Canon 17-102mm f2 c-mount TV zoom lens V6x17 for the bolex. This was originally a video camera lens, I think. Would I get good results shooting my bolex super 16 el through this glass? And if it is a C-mount do I need an adabter?

Thanks,

Billy

matte box allows placement and movement of filters. So if you use filters it is good

Everyone who makes good pictures uses filters sometimes to improve specific situations. Just using indoor film outdoors will require a filter.

Second matte box, eyebrow and side brow prevents backlight from hitting the front element of the lens and flaring or reducing contrast also pretty important to most folks.

Be careful about the TV lens. some TV and security lenses were for a diferent rear element to imager distance than your bolex. Even though it says C mount it may not be compatible, try it first, be careful when putting it on it may be too long and hit stuff inside the camera lens mount.

Best of luck starting out with your Bolex they are a very nice beginning camera.

Guest Ian Marks

Matte boxes are great, but they're not the only way to get a filter in front of your lens, if that's what you're after.

I have the same Canon zoom, and it has a fairly small front element - something like 58mm - so you can buy filters for very little money (most 16mm zooms require a much larger diameter filter, usually a Series 9). This lens is also fairly lightweight, so hanging it off the front of your Bolex without a support shouldn't be a problem. These lenses are usually sold with a dedicated hard rubber lens hood.

These old video lenses are available dirt cheap. I paid about $15 dollars for mine (I bought it to play with), and I've seen them sell for less. It fits on my ACL and focuses to infinity with no problems. The Bolex has a beamsplitter behind the lensmount, but I think the lens would probably fit on your camera too. It does not have a protruding rear optical element. If you have a bayonet mount Bolex, you'd need the Bayonet to C-mount adapter. The lens might or might not need to be adjusted to compensate for the beamsplitter.

What I don't understand is why you would be considering spending the equivalent of hundreds of dollars to fit a matte box in front of a lens that costs so little.

I haven't shot with this lens, but I hope one day to shoot a side-by side comparison against the "better" motion picture lenses I own to determine whether it is a viable alternative for those trying to shoot on llloooowwww budget. Because it was originally fitted to a pre-CCD-era video camera, I doubt it will be much of a performer, but I'm curious what one might accomplish by applying a bit of digital "sharpening" appled in a program like Final Cut Pro or After Effects.

To add a 4x4 matte box I would require :-

Support interface                          GBP 64.00

Support Bars with extenders          GBP184.00

Matte Box                                    GBP350.00

Do I need this stuff on my Bolex EL? I am new to this film and don't understand the purpose of extra expense. Please inform.

Thanks,

Billy

That's a pretty expensive set up for a Bolex

It probably cost as much as the camera itself.

Matte-box are very useful and important---I like 'em

But if it's costing you more than you can afford

You gotta ask yourself:

Is it cost-effective (good word) for you to have one?

If you're shooting alot of work demanding professional quality

And finding you need to place different filters into your camera

Then I'd recommend you get a matte-box--it'll pay-off sooner or later

If you're just messing around trying to get the basics, then don't worry.

Just use what you got and just do what you can

When you get better then you go out and get the better gear.

Your Bolex EL is not a C-mount camera

But you can find an adapter to convert it to a C-mount

Search Ebay (these things go there for cheap under $50 bucks sometimes)

It'll be a Bolex Bayonet Mount to C-Mount adapter.

The Canon V6x17 lens should fit your camera with a C-mount adapter on it

It's a very decent lens for the price especially if you find a good one.

I'd check it out and test it and if you like it go with it.

If you don't well you lost 20 bucks sell on ebay to another sucker... :)

You've got a sweet camera rig there

I'd convert it to S16 and get a Bolex Bayonet to PL mount adapter

And then go out try shooting so small budget Music Videos.

You can get really good quality images with that camera

And it's very versatile and good for handholding...

Good Luck and Have Fun

Hi;

Billy, did you not say in another post that you already owned the POE 16-100 zoom? If you do it should be great for S16! (mine is) replacing it with the Canon seems a little like false economy to me..... Contrary to much miss info this lens does cover S16, it's the later generation incarnation that has trouble, Just a thought.

As for a matte-box and bars I use one for filters and it really helps with blocking out the sun too, but I didn't get one until I'd been shooting film for about 5 years! IE not essential.

Olly