The First Canon Scoopic (Your Thoughts)

Colin Curtis

Hey everyone...

This is actually my first post - I just signed up. Can't wait to get in on some discussion here, instead of just reading (Haha).

I recently got an original Canon Scoopic 16 and was wondering what your thoughts were on this model. It seems largely ignored, taking a back seat to the more popular Scoopic 16M and MS. I haven't shot with it yet but hope to soon. I have yet to get my (three) batteries re-celled. Why is it that this camera is not so popular? If anyone reading this has used the original Scoopic, I would love to hear your thoughts on this camera - and especially any tips you might have. This camera is my first step into 16mm.

Also...Has anyone out there modified this camera for Ultra-16? I'd Love to hear about the results.

Thanks for reading! I hope to hear some feedback!

• Premium Member

Probably because the M/MS Model has a bit more of everything.

The fixed shutter angle is 135 on the regular model versus 170 deg. on the M/MS.

The normal one runs at 48 fps max. while the M/MS runs at 64 max.

The macro function comes in handy also for the use of wide-angle adaptors.

And so on. You can COMPARE THE FEATURES of each model here.

Citation:

"The Scoopic 16M was designed with more new functionality after the Scoopic 16 developed in 1965 had been reviewed and streamlined. The "M" in the name "Scoopic 16M" denoted "Macro", making this camera the first 16 mm movie camera in the world with a macro lens capable of shooting at distances up to 80 mm from the front end of the lens. This new lens, equipped with the macro capability, was a 12.5 to 75 mm 6:1 lens with 16 elements in 12 groups (f/1.8). The complete matte surface of the brighter, improved viewfinder made focusing easier. The feed drive system also employed a new servomotor governor. The photographic range was also expanded 1 to 64 frames. The wider shutter open angle, expanded to 170 degrees, also improved the efficiency of the shutter."

Hey Oliver...In case you (or anyone else) are interested...I found this YouTube video of a film test done with an Original Scoopic 16 and I thought it was quite decent and this is reg-16. It is nicely telecined and the folks that shot it did a great job. I hope they don't mind me posting this link(?). The test is for a horror film and the end is a touch disturbing. If you look at the comments, the fellow who posted it gives details about shooting it.

Here's the link...

The scoopic was a great camera. The big problem was the fixed lens. Had you been able to use other lenses, it might have been more popular but it was by far one of the easiest to use, compact camera there was. It just feels good in your hand.

I totally agree Tom...the fixed lens is a draw back. Eventually, I would like to get an Eclair ACL for exactly that reason. I'd even be able to use SLR lenses on it. I thought the Canon Scoopic might make a good camera two. And, it should also serve me well in learning the basics in shooting 16mm. And I like the feel of the Scoopic also. Thanks for commenting.