My first video light

I am looking to buy a decent key light. I mostly do real estate video now and client testimonials for top agents. I am starting to shoot small business commercial as well. One person on a forum recommended this light from bh as a good starter kit http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=257304&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

This is really complex to me. For interior photography all I need is some sb80 speed lights, and they are pretty much the standard. With video there are so many options its making me dizzy. I dont understand why someone would choose fluorescent or the hot lights, or led panels?

Basically I want something that can throw great light and wont be obsolete once I get some experience. I shoot video and photos for my job everyday so i progress pretty fast, so I dont want to throw away money.

To be perfectly honest, lights are not as complicated an endeavor as buying a new camera or new editing software. There are so many ways to manipulate lights, with gels and filters and such, all you really need is a sturdy product that can last you through years of shooting. The studio I work at has been using the same lights for almost a decade...though that’s as long as the studio has been there, too.

To answer your question, pick something you feel comfortable using (as in avoid bells and whistles if you don’t know what they do), find something that fits your method of transportation and storage (if you’re running your business out of a home office, don’t get a kit you will need a U-Haul for every time you travel for a job), and find a kit that is sturdy enough to survive getting knocked over a few times.

I’d pick this one, if I was in the market. Portable, simple, and plenty of room for foil and gels to be attached: www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/298604-REG/Impact_401470.html

Hope that was helpful.