Pathe Professional Reflex instructions?

Tony James

Hello - I recently purchased a 16mm Pathe Professional Reflex, and have been searching, with no luck, for an instruction manual. The seller claimed it came with instructions, but none were in the box and and my emails have gone unanswered. If anyone could guide me to a manual, that would be great. The camera is in very nice condition and the reflex finder seems brighter and "bigger" than that of my old Bolex H16. I think I can pretty much figure out the Pathe, but I'd at least like to know what the shutter speeds are at the various fps rates/variable shutter settings (it has a lever that's marked "Closed - 1/2 - Open" so I assume this is a variable shutter?). Does anyone have this information? Any help would be very much appreciated. I'm not that experienced with motion picture shooting, so please forgive me if anything I've said here makes no sense!

Thanks in advance,

Tony

• 1 year later...

Hello Tony!

Here is a link to the specs for the Pathé DS8/BTL Professional Reflex camera. The camera speeds and shutter openings are the same for the 16mm Professional Reflex version of the camera pictured.

Shutter opening angle: variable and lockable at 180º, 135º, 90º, 45º and closed. As I recall, there was some "flicker" in the exposure as you closed the shutter past the 45º mark to the closed position. You would put the lever in the closed position when you back wound the film for double exposures.

I think it was a 1/3 stop correction for the light loss from the pellicle mirror for the reflex viewing. Don't break the mirror!

http://www.super8data.com/database/cameras_list/cameras_pathex/pathe_ds8-btl_pro(grey).htm

You might be able to get a copy of the Professional Reflex camera (code- PA-2) here:

http://www.mugjoint.com/media/manuals/manuals2.html

I do have instructions for using the 8/80 motor as pictured on the camera at the above site. Let me know if you want a copy.

Charlie