Wide 1.5x Anamorphic? HELP!

Eric Weindel

Does anyone know of a wide 1.5x anamorphic? Ideally around 25mm to 35mm or a 1.5x adapter which would fit these focal lengths without vignetting or distorting.

Currently I have the isco 36 and 54 which I'm using on a 50mm and 100mm primes. I don't like having to keep moving the adapters from one lens to another that's really a mess. But when I need to shoot wide I'm using a 25mm lens with a century 1.33x anamorphic which isn't as sharp as the isco's, has different flare characteristics, and is a pain in post with the different squeeze.

Somebody help!

• 4 weeks later...

Wide angle anamorphic photography has never been too popular due to inevitable barrel distortion, though the field of view with your anamorphic adapter is actually wider than it would be with just the taking lens alone, turning your 50mm taking lens into something closer to a 35mm with the adapter attached. According to my tests, 28mm is the widest you can go on a 7D/Isco 54 without vignetting. Taking your wider anamorphic field of view into account, that leaves you with something close to 25mm. I'm thinking 25mm should be enough, no?

Wide angle anamorphic photography has never been too popular due to inevitable barrel distortion, though the field of view with your anamorphic adapter is actually wider than it would be with just the taking lens alone, turning your 50mm taking lens into something closer to a 35mm with the adapter attached. According to my tests, 28mm is the widest you can go on a 7D/Isco 54 without vignetting. Taking your wider anamorphic field of view into account, that leaves you with something close to 25mm. I'm thinking 25mm should be enough, no?

I have tried my isco's on a 35mm lens, and you're right there's no vignetting. The problem that does come up there is that the sides of the frame seem to have a slightly different squeeze than the center. Since the isco's were really for still anamorphic photos (from my understanding) this isn't an issue there. As long as you don't pan you don't really notice it, but as soon as you start tracking or panning the camera, the shot looks quite odd. Here's a link to someone else making this mistake.

Currently my wide setup is a 25mm with a Century 1.33x anamorphic. Dismal performance compared to the isco's sharpness. Below f5.6 is a waste of time and the different squeeze is confusing in post. I think the performance is probably similar to the Panasonic 1.33x adapter but I can at least use diopters with the Century. I've also got to mention that the focus throw gets reversed from the isco's because the ZF lenses focus lefty. (perfect for making a frustrated 1st AC)

Back to FOV, the 25mm with the Century adapter yields something in the horizontal range of 62 degrees so similar to a 20mm. But I really would like to achieve this FOV with a 1.5x squeeze and keep things easier in post. (and sharper too if possible and keep my 1st AC sane)

-ERIC

I have tried my isco's on a 35mm lens, and you're right there's no vignetting. The problem that does come up there is that the sides of the frame seem to have a slightly different squeeze than the center.

It is impossible to design an anamorphic element that fits every focal length perfectly without your squeeze issue. Isco hinted this by incorporating the 50mm taking lens into the Isco 36. The Isco adapters are really only meant for a focal range between 50 and 90mm.

If you get a chance, take a look at a set of anamorphic primes. If you look closely, you'll notice each oval anamorphic element is shaped a little differently to accommodate that specific focal length.

Edited by Brandon Ruiz