Nikon R8 Repair

Kevin Toll

My camera pretty much can't have film in it. When I take a look inside and run I noticed that the bottom registration pin won't move. So is this something that I can repair my. I have a little experience repairing still film cameras, and if not whats a good place to get it repaired. Thnx.

Forgot to post when I put film in it it sounds like it seizes up, and also the super 8 cartridge in it at the time is also seized up.

Edited by Kevin Toll

From a distance it is a bit difficult to tell what is wrong with your camera :)

The non-moving registration-pin is not the cause because of this alone. It is not supposed to move. It is not like a claw or registration pin which goes in and out.

It functions a bit like a woodpecker and it will hold the film still when the claw has left the film and the pick-up drive is pulling continiously. So it is a spring driven wedged feeler which allows the claw to push the film through and makes it stand still when there is no pushing.

There are two of these pins, one active at the time for the chosen direction. If you alternate the direction tou may notice that one moves back from the film and the other comes forward to the film.

If transport is poor it may be caused by:

• poor cartridge
  • insufficient pull from the pick-up drive
  • lack of psuhing power from the claw
  • wrong adjustment of the claw
  • insufficient power from the general drive motor

alright thank you. They are actually claws. I misunderstood what they were. I found an article somewhere that said Nikon designed them to both move the film along and to act like registration pins to stabilize the film. Anyways I think they are supposed to both move at the same time I just kicked the camera in to reverse and only the top one moves. No matter what I do I can't get the bottom one to move I've also put in a fresh cartridge and my camera still jam's making a grinding noise. I'm pretty sure that it was the cartridge that caused this cause it won't turn when I turn it by hand.

alright thank you. They are actually claws. I misunderstood what they were. I found an article somewhere that said Nikon designed them to both move the film along and to act like registration pins to stabilize the film. Anyways I think they are supposed to both move at the same time I just kicked the camera in to reverse and only the top one moves. No matter what I do I can't get the bottom one to move I've also put in a fresh cartridge and my camera still jam's making a grinding noise. I'm pretty sure that it was the cartridge that caused this cause it won't turn when I turn it by hand.

Don't contradict me on an assumption or vague hearsay.

They are not claws. They work exactly as I describe them. I know.

The film-moving-claw resides in the longer top slot. The two stop pins are in the lower slot.

good luck with your camera.

Edited by Andries Molenaar