Can anyone help me go further?

Guest Andy Jarosz

Guest Andy Jarosz

(This is long and heartfelt...I apologize. I also know it's a long shot.)

I'm problably like some of you, back when. Since I was ten years old I've breathed filmmaking, and today my life goal is to become a cinematographer. I won my first film award at 16 and became the DP on a (small) web series the same year. Since then, I've certainly done more things...

...But, I'm not where I want to be. And I'm ready to step up. I haven't been able to do much because I'm still young, I'm in school...and generally, people don't trust people as young as I anywhere behind a camera, even way back doing logs. I've never had the chance to prove myself because nobody has really given me that chance. It's the classic film industry catch-22.

And, so, I'm searching for my future. I'm looking for anything: A mentor, an internship, to be an assistant of an assistant to a secretary. Anything. I just want a chance to prove myself, to work hard, and to improve myself both as a filmmaker and a human being.

I'm in Chicago, which makes it doubly hard. But, if anybody needs a hand...I'm here. And I'm more then willing.

Thanks, guys. I've been with this forum and a fan of RED for a while, and everyone here has helped whether they know it or not. Thank you all.

Andy Jarosz

www.andyfilms.net

andy@andyfilms.net

(This is long and heartfelt...I apologize. I also know it's a long shot.)

I'm problably like some of you, back when. Since I was ten years old I've breathed filmmaking, and today my life goal is to become a cinematographer. I won my first film award at 16 and became the DP on a (small) web series the same year. Since then, I've certainly done more things...

...But, I'm not where I want to be. And I'm ready to step up. I haven't been able to do much because I'm still young, I'm in school...and generally, people don't trust people as young as I anywhere behind a camera, even way back doing logs. I've never had the chance to prove myself because nobody has really given me that chance. It's the classic film industry catch-22.

And, so, I'm searching for my future. I'm looking for anything: A mentor, an internship, to be an assistant of an assistant to a secretary. Anything. I just want a chance to prove myself, to work hard, and to improve myself both as a filmmaker and a human being.

I'm in Chicago, which makes it doubly hard. But, if anybody needs a hand...I'm here. And I'm more then willing.

Thanks, guys. I've been with this forum and a fan of RED for a while, and everyone here has helped whether they know it or not. Thank you all.

Andy Jarosz

www.andyfilms.net

andy@andyfilms.net

I think... (that's the disclaimer)

I think that you should not be an assistant for anyone. The best thing to do in your situation is to keep working. Look for those small projects with new Directors that might have a chance at some kind of notoriety or financial success. Moving up to bigger and better projects can have more to do with how you set yourself up politically and less to do with your skills (though of course that helps). Of course there's no way to know beforehand which projects will be "successful," so you'll be evaluating Directors and projects the same way they evaluate you.

Just keep at it. Keep your financial overhead low so that you aren't forced into taking jobs (in or out of the industry) just to pay the bills. It's not impossible but it does take perseverance and enthusiasm and sustained passion.

• Premium Member

I can tell you this, I went to your site, and watched what you had done so far. It's good stuff, technically speaking (I can't speak for the content of the "Pickle Flick"). I can also tell you that, as a director, I would hire you, had I any more fundage that yourself currently.

How are you on film and lighting? From what I saw, it was mostly natural. I'm working my way through the 'Coffee Break''s right now.

I do have a question: What kind of crane did you use?

Guest Andy Jarosz

Thanks for the encouragement guys-- it means a lot!

John, as for film, i've shot it (some 16mm on a bolex) a total of once, when i was 16, because I really wanted to shoot film. I understand everything and think I could do a good job, I just wouldnt get as adventurous at first until i learned how it responds more.

The crane was a 16' crane I but using the plans from dvcamerarigs.com.

Thanks everyone,

Andy Jarosz

Www.andyfilms.net

Chicago, Il