Bumpy Ride on a Fisher 10

Dirk Naves

hey guys,

just completed a recent shoot with fisher 10 on some centipede track adaptors (don't actually know if they were Matthews brand) on round track. we had the camera op and 1st AC on board. If the dolly sat for a while it developed flat spots in the wheels that need ironed out before the shot started. however, these developed after as short a period as 30 seconds. In shots where a move began after a period of time, we had terrible bumps. One of the crew suggested that the camera package was too light and thus too sensitive to the bumps, but I felt them in my body so distinctly that I doubt that was the case. Has anyone else faced these challenges or found solutions to them?

thanks in advance!

It's common with skates. It's got nothing to do with your camera package weight.your wheels are too soft. For this reason I bought a set of porta glides several years ago. The wheels are all slightly different diameter and flat spots are no longer a worry. You may be able to find a set of regular skates that don't flatten as quickly. The old bones wheels used to be pretty good. Willys widgets had a set that seemed to hold up well a few years ago. Check out porta glides at portajib.com. I've used them for years on both tvseries and several features and never had a flat spot (no I don't work for them or get anything for saying that).

It's common with skates. It's got nothing to do with your camera package weight.your wheels are too soft. For this reason I bought a set of porta glides several years ago. The wheels are all slightly different diameter and flat spots are no longer a worry.

Darryl is spot on. Most skates will give you flat spots if you let them rest. It sounds like your wheels are particularly soft. I bought the Porta Glides some years ago (suggested by Darryl) and have been consistently amazed at how good they are. Such a simple idea, and it works flawlessly.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

fyi, we were using 32-wheel Willy Wheels.

i checked out the porta-glide set. it looks like a brilliant design, but i can't find any weight specs. Has anyone used them with a really heavy dolly like the fisher 10?

• 5 months later...

Try ordering the Tube Track Wheels or TTW from fisher next time. These wheels work fine...and you dont have to lift the dolly everytime it goes on track.

Yes, but you have to move the turnbuckles on the track or the inner wheel of the dolly will hit them.

Yes, but you have to move the turnbuckles on the track or the inner wheel of the dolly will hit them.

The extra hammers will gladly do that for you. They will be pleased to know they won't have to lift the dolly everytime you go on track. Save the troughs for the long lens, platform dolly, and circle track.