15mm Rod Handles and Grips

Evan Ferrario

I'm not sure if there is a better category for this, perhaps its a lens accessory, or an Eclair topic.

I am looking for options for grips and handles to go with my 16mm Eclair ACL with 15mm rod support.

The problem with the regular ACL side handle is that the 15mm bars make the grip unusable. Up until now, I have seen a few options.

The first would be 2 of these http://store.redrockmicro.com/Catalog/DSLR-Support/microHandGrip-one-grip-blue . These are nice and exacally what I'm looking for, although a little pricey for the pair.

Then there are bars on ebay like the front part of this kit, http://cgi.ebay.com/Shoulder-pad-Handgrips-sh-rail-system-15mm-rod-supp-/170592581060?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b81c35c4#ht_4791wt_907. Which would work as well, but this one is made for 15mm and 19mm rods and I don't know if I want something that big.

Are there any other options for 15mm handgrips that I have missed? Also has anyone ever custom build a handle for 15mm rods. It doesn't seem all that difficult perhaps using a bike grip and 15mm right angle support. However, I'd really rather purchase something which is already tested and comfortable for holding a 16mm camera rig.

You can get the hand-grip portion of that shoulder rig here: http://www.thecinecity.com/eshop/product.php?productid=287&cat=3&page=1

I agree it does look a bit big. Also I don't know why these hand-grips are so expensive? It seems like somebody would have come out with a durable plastic grip for $20 or something already.

That wooden hand-grip looks kinda interesting - you think that plug would work as-is on the ACL? It would seem like it could be possible since it says Aaton on it, but it seems to be made for RED cameras, that's kinda wild to think they have the same on/off connector as our old ACLs..?!

The standard Aaton handgrip would work just fine on the Eclair, you would just need to have the appropriate connector put on the cable. The original Aaton switch is momentary in one direction (single frame) and continuous in the other (camera run). For electronic cameras including the RED, we change this switch to a momentary in either direction and then include the appropriate cable.

There are many, many options for handgrips out there. If you don't need the eun/stop switch, I think the Vocas handgrips are an excellent value and very comfortable to use.

http://www.abelcine.com/store/Vocas-Handgrip-Kit-with-Two-Handgrips/

We also offer the Ronford-Baker Moosebars, which can include a trigger with cable for an additional fee.

http://www.abelcine.com/store/Ronford-Baker-Moose-Bars/

And the O'Connor O-Grips are offer an optional switch as well. These handgrips use a universal ball joint which makes them uniquely adjustable and extremely sturdy.

http://www.abelcine.com/store/OConnor-O-Grips-Handgrip-System/

Thanks a lot for the info Mitch. I have to say, I went into this greatly under estimating the costs associated with a high quality hand support for 15mm rods and I realize I really don't want any cheap parts in the actual device which connects the camera to the operator. The aaton handgrip is exactally what I am looking for. It is also nice to see Abelcine sells the 15mm rod adapter which connects to the handle incase I am able to find a aaton grip used on ebay. I have looked into buying an original eclair wooden handle from a parts store in france which has a stock of eclair parts but even that comes out to 600 euros. My concern is that with 15mm rods on the eclair, which I have an adapter for, the original wood handle might sit too close to the rods. It would also be nice to have a handle that was compatible with other cameras as long as they have a 15mm.

• 4 years later...

I'm writing without yet looking at all the links offered. I used an ACL I a lot in the 80s, with a cast alloy handles/base, the two handles close together and aligned parallel to the lens axis. This gave a slightly cramped feeling to my arms, but a very steady, smooth result. This gave me a start point when I doodled a concept for base, handles recently.

The concept is a 19mm rod base for ACL II which allows rods for handles as an option. The rods are simply bent to acomodate the likely most useful geometry. This is a very cheap begining point. Aircraft alloy is cheap, and easily bent in the right workshop.

And one has a 19mm base which may be useful when using large lenses, heavy matte box etc.

I only persued this for fun, having some design and CAD skills. But if I made a prototype that was easy to reproduce, I could offer to others.

Here is a screen grab. Others may enjoy what they want for free, but commercial exploitation of anything from these drawings will be mercilessly punished.

Re adapting Chinese handles from the digital market, those that fit to a 15mm rod set. This is too flimsy for ACL I, more so for the heavier ACL II.

post-47078-0-99021600-1429488118_thumb.jpg

I just wanted to say more about adding handles to a 15mm rod system. On ACL, Aaton, SR the connection of the rods to camera is not very robust. There are two aspects, strength and stiffness. For strength, there are no standards to design to. It would be a guess. For stiffness, I think the reduced stiffness of a 15mm system with the common connection(s) to the camera(s) compromises the way one might use the camera. My gut feeling is that handles clipping onto 15mm rods for those cameras is not the way.

Another issue. Stacking a follow focus and matte box on a 15mm rod system for those cameras is tight. Being forced to shift the handle clamps forward makes the issues I pointed to worse.

If you are shooting really crazy stuff hand held, jumping off trucks or whatever, it helps to have a really robust hand grips system.

Finally,

Some of those links were old. Couldn't see the photos.

I see there is general mania about handle systems that allow fast reconfiguration or perhaps one should call it alignment. The idea I proposed could have straight 19mm rods and a clip on handle set from O'Connor or Ronford. Feel good while you bleed the money! These suit a rental context where reconfiguration may need to be fast. For an owner operator, there may only be one or two usefull handle configurations. One could explore that with some cheap chinese stuff, or bend some soft alloy tube with a plumbers pipe bender etc, then make some 6061-T6 tube versions to go in a 19mm rod base such as I drew.

I met an operator years ago who worked on The Battle of Britain. The front heavy digital camera configurations, the mass distributions and ergonomic problems that are problematic now were there then, with Arri II. He described a shoulder mount rig for Arri II which had grips at solar plexus height, about 300mm apart, about 200mm in front of the chest. So were they the first? Should the legions of modern designer/entrepeneurs be sending a cheque?