Powering bolex voltage regulator?

Justin Ciminero

I bought the MCE-17b motor and BXE-17a voltage regulator for my Bolex REX-5. However, I don't know how to feed power into the voltage regulator. I have the power cord but I dont know what it plugs into. It has two prongs; one with a groove allowing a secure/release function. I've been looking for a battery or an adaptor that matches this cord. Any help would be great. Below are two links, one being the motor & regulator setup; the other being a close up of the power cord prongs.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32410262&l=983f27a66b&id=53705417

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32410263&l=576511e1e6&id=53705417

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I've encountered a new problem! Please help.

I modified the wires to run on power sonic batteries. I managed to get the Uni-B motor to work when its directly hooked to the batteries. However when I try to run the voltage regulator through the batteries, it begins to smoke. I already burned out two voltage regulators. The uni-motor says it needs "24 Volts" to run at 24 FPS and the voltage regulator says "50 Volt DC max". Im using two 12 Volt 9 Amp/hr batteries. I was told Amps will give me longer battery life; not effecting how much power flows in at once. Why are these regulators burning out?

If anyone has a manual on these regualtors, please post some scans. I'm all out of ideas. Thanks.

• Premium Member

I don't have the manual, but as far as I know you don't really need the regulator unless you need to power a magazine motor as well. Your two 12V batteries wired in series will give out 24V which is what you need for 24 fps.

I don't know why your regulators are burning out. The obvious cause would be reverse polarity, so are you sure you're feeding the battery voltage in correctly?

Can you post a photo of your set-up?

• 4 months later...

the right side pin on the input jack of the regulator is positive. the regulators purpose is to allow a single higher voltage input allowing for multiple film speeds on demand as controlled by the dial on the side of the regulator (turn the speed control on the camera body to max)while providing a different yet appropriate voltage to the mag take-up motor. the drive motor has or once had a decal on the side prescribing what current is closest to the film speed you wish if to run direct power to the motor only. however if the voltage is too high above the selected filming speed on the camera body the motors clutch works overtime.