n00b questions

Praetorian

I have some not so technical questions.

Do DPs and Lighting directors resent it when directors intercede? Right now I am taking TV production (freshman in college) and I love all aspects of filming (except running the teleprompter and logging tapes....yuck...), so I can imagine that when I do become a director one day, I would like to collaberate with the other directors. Judging by some responses and jokes online, DPs and lighting crew, etc... aren't fond of directors interferring. Is there a an urbane way to approach other directors so that they don't plot to kill you while you sleep?

What kind of intern do you like to work with? What impresses you or makes you want to throw them to the wolves?

I am working as a volunteer at a telethon for LBS (Lousiana's PBS branch) and I want to make a great first impression. I don't have any experience other than less than 2 months of a tv production class. I am going to be running the camera, and I don't want to appear too incompetent. Any advice for making it run smoothly. Are there certain things I should not do/say?

• Premium Member

Hi,

> Do DPs and Lighting directors resent it when directors intercede?

Depends if the guy knows what he's doing, but it depends on the established relationship. Some directors (even at my somewhat minimal level of experience) are more specific than others.

> Is there a an urbane way to approach other directors so that they don't plot to kill you

> while you sleep?

Quietly.

> I don't have any experience other than less than 2 months of a tv production class. I

> am going to be running the camera

You are doomed to drown in a horrible, gurgling, lots-of-bubbles kind of way.

> Are there certain things I should not do/say?

Speak only when spoken to, and even then reserve anything that could possibly be construed an opinion.

Phil

Guest Frank Gossimier

FYI,

"and I love all aspects of filming (except running the teleprompter and logging tapes....yuck...),"

Film makers do not use video tape, and they rarely use a teleprompter.

Frank