Cannon 5D

Tim Althaus

We're having an issue with our Cannon 5D when trying to use it for video recording. This short clip is what happens when we try and hit record (it turns itself off after a few seconds).

I've attached a short clip of what is happening and here's a link i've uploaded to vimeo...

Has anyone seen this before or got any ideas how to remedy the issue?

• Premium Member

I think you have a bad CF card(s). If you're in the US, go to Walmart and buy a 4 or 8GB Sandisk Ultra to test your camera. It's rated at 30MB/S which comfortably exceeds Canon's requirement.

Always buy CF cards from a reputable seller like BH Photovideo, Adorama, Walmart, etc. There are hordes of counterfeits being sold on markets like eBay and at discount stores.

I think you have a bad CF card(s). If you're in the US, go to Walmart and buy a 4 or 8GB Sandisk Ultra to test your camera. It's rated at 30MB/S which comfortably exceeds Canon's requirement.

Always buy CF cards from a reputable seller like BH Photovideo, Adorama, Walmart, etc. There are hordes of counterfeits being sold on markets like eBay and at discount stores.

Thanks for your reply Hal. We're in rural Thailand doing a shoot and running two cameras similultaneously - we've changed CF cards and it works in one of the 5D's and not the other so we don't think its the card..... any other ideas?

• Premium Member

Yeah, I'll second the "bad cards" thought. When you say it works in one and not the other, what scene are you shooting? The data rate is, to a small extent, dependent on the picture content and if you were shooting different scenes, or scenes with a variable amount of motion in them, or with different camera settings provoking different noise characteristics, you may get variable results if it's on the edge of working.

If you have a windows XP laptop available, get the HDTach utility and run it against the cards, so you can ensure they're really what they appear to be. As Hal says, counterfeit parts, which have poorer performance than the real thing, are a serious problem. Just be aware that if you're using a USB card reader and you get really atrocious results, double check the card reader has negotiated with the laptop as USB 2.0, not USB 1.0, as this can be an obscuring fault.

P