Where to Live in LA? (Freelancer)

Salil Sundresh

Any suggestions on where to live? I'm potentially moving from Chicago to LA soon. I have some gear (about about 20k worth) so I want to live in a fairly safe area but not break the bank on rent. I don't really care about swimming pools and stuff like that. Need to have parking and be close to potential film and video shooting areas.

Glendale. Good for newcomers. Cheaper than most parts of LA. Close to everything, especially the southern part. Avoid Burbank. No rent protections, fewer apartments and no cultural amenities. It's a drive-thru town at best.

LA city is a mixed bag. The best areas are expensive+, the worst are not worth it.

Ideally, you can live close to where you'll work most, but of course you can't ever really know that. But, it'll be helpful for you to have an idea where the major shooting locations are in town.

I suggest that you do an address search to pinpoint exact locations, but in general...

Disney and Warner Brothers sit almost right next to each other in Burbank near the 134 freeway. Just up the hill from Warner Brothers is Universal just off the 101 freeway. Over the hill, more or less just south of Hollywood is Paramount which isn't really near a freeway. Raleigh Studios sits across the road from Paramount.

Then you have to travel west all the way across town to find Twentieth Century Fox in Century City. Somewhat south of that on the other side of the 10 freeway are Sony and Culver Studios which are near each other.

Farther south, south of LAX, south of the 105 freeway is Raleigh studios in Manhattan Beach, where Marvel is.

You also may find yourself working north of the San Fernando Valley at a couple of stage locations in Santa Clarita. There are also some "ranch" properties up north along the 14 freeway.

I live in Encino, which is more or less where the 405 and 101 meet. That gives me easy access to freeways that get me to Burbank and Hollywood east of me and I'm able to travel south toward Century City or Manhattan Beach and I can get north quickly for those locations. Plus, it's safe in the West Valley and not too expensive if you search around a bit. Just about all apartment complexes have their own parking and if you need extra room, there are Public Storage buildings close by. You won't necessarily get all of those benefits if you live closer to Hollywood or in the LA Basin area.

The downside to almost anywhere you live will be traffic. It's almost a given that wherever you settle down to live, you won't be shooting close to there. That's just the film/traffic Gods trying to be funny. :)

Oh, and you might care about having a pool once you've lived through a summer here. Unless you live near Santa Monica where the climate is cooler, of course, then you'll be somewhat close to the beach.

For LA, let's see, having visited the City Of Angles a number of times. I recommend you choose any place with armed guards, a mote, electric fence, watch dogs, video surveillance, and a helicopter on standby 24/7 for emergency evac in case of riots, fires, floods, earthquakes, etc.

When you leave your apt I recommend you ride only in an armoured vehicle protected by ex special forces teams with orders to shoot on sight.

When leaving your armoured vehicle only travel with your security detail, and wear your body armour at all times.

If you take these precautions you have maybe a 5% chance of staying safe.

R,

:P It's really not even close to that bad. Sure, there are some "rougher" areas, just like almost anywhere, but you almost have to go looking for trouble to find any.

Alright then fine, a 10% chance of survival if he follows my plan. But I'm not going any higher!

R,

He has a better chance of dying from starvation due to unemployment because all of the work is being siphoned off by bribes from other states and nations. :angry:

Ha Ha, you had to work that in there some how.

We are dramatically increasing all tax credits and subsidies to Hollywood films that want to shoot in Canada. In fact, we have so much oil and natural resource wealth that we are going to use the money to pay Hollywood producers to come here! We'll pay for the entire movie and even cover their entourage fees!

By the time we're done, there won't be so much as a local ad for a car dealer shooting in LA. ;)

And there's nothing you can do to stop us Brian, nothing, nothing!

R,

Ha Ha, you had to work that in there some how.

We are dramatically increasing all tax credits and subsidies to Hollywood films that want to shoot in Canada. In fact, we have so much oil and natural resource wealth that we are going to use the money to pay Hollywood producers to come here! We'll pay for the entire movie and even cover their entourage fees!

I've been saying that this entire tax incentive scheme is intentionally heading that way. Today it's a 40% tax break. Next it'll be like the way sports Corporations convince cities to build stadiums for them with tax money...

I think tax incentives would be fine if the government that hands out the subsidies becomes a profit-partner. 40% subsidy means they get 40% of the gross. Fair?

By the time we're done, there won't be so much as a local ad for a car dealer shooting in LA. ;)

And there's nothing you can do to stop us Brian, nothing, nothing!

R,

Probably not. :)

I think tax incentives would be fine if the government that hands out the subsidies becomes a profit-partner. 40% subsidy means they get 40% of the gross. Fair?

What? That's an outrage! I'm a film producer I want something for nothing...want, want, gimme, want, gimme, want, want....

R,