School in Canada

Robert McLeod

My life as a high school student is coming to and end. I am more than interested in pursuing cinematography as a career. Currently, I live in Canada and I would like to stay for the time being. I was wondering what are the best schools available for cinematography in Canada.

Thank you for taking the time.

My life as a high school student is coming to and end. I am more than interested in pursuing cinematography as a career. Currently, I live in Canada and I would like to stay for the time being. I was wondering what are the best schools available for cinematography in Canada.

Thank you for taking the time.

Where do you live in Canada? Concordia in Montreal has a reputable film school as does the University in Regina. Or is it a college? I'd check out Ryerson in Toronto. If you're in Ottawa, you can combine Carleton's excellent Film Studies program with membership in IFCO and/or SAW (I suggest both). They are filmmaker (IFCO) and videographer (SAW) co-operatives and offer plenty of hands on workshops, grants, member support and cheap access to equipment.

Where do you live in Canada? Concordia in Montreal has a reputable film school as does the University in Regina. Or is it a college? I'd check out Ryerson in Toronto. If you're in Ottawa, you can combine Carleton's excellent Film Studies program with membership in IFCO and/or SAW (I suggest both). They are filmmaker (IFCO) and videographer (SAW) co-operatives and offer plenty of hands on workshops, grants, member support and cheap access to equipment.

Thanks for your input.

I live in toronto but I'm willing to move throughout the country

There isn't any school in Canada with a cinematography emphasis that I know of. They are all just "film schools." In Ontario Ryerson and York compete for the title of "best film school." There is no data as to which is better that I have ever seen.

Of course there is also VFS out in Vancouver.

R,

Richard is right as there are no schools that I'm aware of that are strictly Cinematography, but you should be able to specialize in the later years around cinematography. If you're in TO, then you've got two schools to choose from in your own background. Find out as much as you can about both schools from students past and current and pick the one that suits you best. Just like music, some film schools cater to certain styles and genres over others.

Lastly, join LIFT (Liason of Independant Filmmakers of Toronto) while you're in school. Similar to my Ottawa suggestions, with great access to cheap (especially for students) workshops, equipment, other experienced filmmakers etc.

Of course keep in mind that Ryerson and York are universities so you will be earning a degree, which means studying a whole pile of stuff that is not film related. If you want this experience then great, otherwise you'd have to look at a place like VFS and skip math, history, and chem 101, etc etc.

R,

If you want a chance to focus on shooting then have a look at Confederation College up in Thunder Bay. I know, I know, does not sound like much, middle of nowhere, and not much of a reputation..however, I have yet to work on a production in Vancouver that doesn't have a fellow Ex-Con working on it. They have great gear, decent teachers..., a lot of freedom. Mind you I was there years ago, and was in a very good position to take advantage of facilities. I shot about 12,000 feet of 16mm in my last semester alone. I know things are changing around there, not sure who's teaching anymore, but I do know they have a lot of gear and a generous attitude. Plus the town is very receptive to filming, so you can pull off a lot of interesting locations. It's only 2 years, so it gets you out there quickly, not much theory, just a lot of hands on. Think of it as a 2 year workshop.

I graduated from Concordia in 92. Hands down the best practical "film school" in Canada, albeit difficult to get into. And once you're in (if their program is still the same), they cut down the student base by more than half for the second year, so ya half to be good ;). Highly recommend it.

I graduated from Concordia in 92. Hands down the best practical "film school" in Canada,

E'gad, this place is in Quebec!

R,

Thanks for your help.

I have another question about school, this time in the states. If I wanted to apply there, would I need to take an SAT or some other standardized test?

SAT or the ACT, I took the SAT to attend film school in the USA. Good time to go to the US for school, US dollar VERY cheap for us! When I was there I paid a hefty exchange rate. You can still get the federal funding of the student loan portion to go to school in the USA FYI.

Marry an American while you are there and then you can move to LA and work all you want.

Depending on which school you choose you'll need a good score on the SAT or ACT to get in.

R,

• 2 years later...