Hard Line Lens Flare with Zeiss Super Speed

Justin Cary

I recently purchased an Arri SRII Super 16 package with a Zeiss Super Speed set. I believe the lenses are MKII. I was shooting my kids around the yard just testing the camera and lenses. I love this rig!!! My only problem came when I saw the shot below. I was shooting with the 25mm at 4 and saw a hard line on the left of the frame from the lens flare. Is this normal? I had the mattebox off of the camera just running around with it having fun. I'm getting ready to shoot a series of commercials next week which I won't encounter any lens flares but have some shots written into a script we're shooting later this summer that will definitely have lens flare in. Just wondering your thoughts. Thanks.

Justin Cary

post-50172-0-98811900-1305086441.jpg

• Premium Member

It's possible that some stray light within the mirror cavity is reflecting off a shiny surface back onto the film. If it came from the side you would see a shadow line along the edge of the frame - the shadow from the edge wall of the gate aperture.

If you look through the lens port with the mirror out of the way, check there are no shiny metal surfaces visible around the gate, particularly on the right side. If there are, you can easily touch them up with some very matte black paint.

If there are, you can easily touch them up with some very matte black paint.

I'll check that out. Thanks, I thought I was going crazy. I'd hate to sink a bunch of money into a production and then have to push in past it or explain the phenomenon to a client. I'll give that a shot if I notice anything shiny.

Justin