Illumina S35mm Lenses

Hi there everyone,

Like many people now days, I am interested in buying a set of high speed prime lenses. Obviously there are a wide range available out there, in even more wide ranging price brackets. I'd love to get a set of the new Leica's however they aren't available for at least another year if I was to pay the deposit now. Soooo I'm thinking of going a lot cheaper and maybe getting a set of the Illumina S35mm primes from 18mm - 135mm for around $40'000 US.

Lately I've been doing a lot of online research into the Illumina's but I can't find any worthwhile test results or footage except one video by Nicolas L Gal in Paris. see: (

)

I would love it if someone could give me some non bias feedback on these lenses. I understand they are cheap but are they still good... I own a set of Lomo anamorphics and absolutely love them but how do these new lenses look and feel at T 1.3 or T2 ....

Thanks for your time guys.

Callan Green

Sydney, Australia

You have a lot of options in this price range. For a little over $40k, you can get a set of six Cooke Panchros (18, 25, 32, 50, 75, 100). Yes, they are T2.8, which is generally not as limiting given the high sensitivity of today's sensors. Image quality is almost identical to the S4 range, and you can intercut them with S4's and 5i's. Should you wish to sell them in the future, you would probably get the best return on investment from these as opposed to a less established make.

I would also strongly consider the UniqOptics Signature series lenses. $32k for a set of six, and the image quality is very, very good. The Red Pro Primes are also optically very good, though they are sparse on focus marks.

I have commented on another forum in the past in regards to the Illumina lenses and I wasn't thrilled with the optics and the mechanics needed work. Yes, they are T1.3, but even stopped down to T2 I feel the UniqOptics perform better. They have apparently improved the mechanics on the Illuminas but for the asking price, there are other lens sets that I believe are far better options.