Lighting Advice Needed

Guest DerekE

Guest DerekE

Here's my setup: Music video. DJ in center of gym with turntables and equipment. All the gym lights are out, so it's pitch black in there except for my lighting setup: My initial vision or idea is super-bright white light panels maybe 3 feet by 3 feet or similar, one on the front-left aimed at the DJ and one on the right of the front-right, also aimed at the DJ. These panels are so bright that they clearly light up the DJ's face and equipment in lighting the same color as best buy or wal-mart lights (very whitish, NOT orange). However, since the bleachers, stands, and walls, are so far back, you can't see them so the background looks dark or almost dark. What types of light do I need? And how many? I'm afraid the soft-lights are way too dim, and the spot lights appear too orange and too much like theatre lighting. Any help is appreciated.

What type of budget are you working with? Litepanels 1x1 series might be a good option for you. You can connect them together to form larger squares. www.litepanels.com.

Either that, or maybe some Kinos? If you need large soft lights you could consider Flatheads or Parabeams gelled with diffusion?