Worst or weirdest experience at the cinema?

Patrick Cooper

I will never forget one particular experience I had watching Godzilla at the cinema. About half way during the film, this guy walked through the aisles and sat down on the seat directly behind me. Why he chose me I have no idea. He was a bit of a loud breather...I could hear his breathing very clearly behind me. He was also making a lot of noise scrunching and unwrapping some plastic wrapping that contained a food item.

Eventually, I had enough of this and got up and moved to a different seat well over the left. All of a sudden, this guy stood right up - quite a sight as he was quite tall. He then bent down and got on the floor in between the rows of seats in a horizontal position and lit a cigarette. (I should mention that smoking is banned in Australian cinemas by the way.) He remained there, lying between the rows of seats smoking a cigarette, for the rest of the movie. When the credits started to roll at the end, he got up.

That is one movie going experience that I will never forget...and for the wrong reasons. Has anyone else had any bizarre or unpleasant experiences while watching a movie at the cinema?

• Premium Member

Well, I did once eat at a restaurant that wasn't so good, and then we arrived late and had to sit way up front for an all hand held movie. It was that Woody Allen divorce picture, 10-15 years ago maybe. I didn't throw up, but it was close.

-- J.S.

When I (against my better judgment) went to see the first Fantastic Four, there was an older, drunken, possibly retarded guy near the front row who stood up with a bottle of whiskey and shouted things like "BEN GRIMM, BEN GRIMM!" at the screen over and over again. A couple of ushers dragged his ass out. Everybody was laughing. The woman who was with him, his wife I guess, looked so embarrassed.

there was an older, drunken, possibly retarded guy near the front row who stood up with a bottle of whiskey and shouted things like "BEN GRIMM, BEN GRIMM!" at the screen over and over again.

Ha! Let me guess - more entertaining than the movie itself, right?

Ha! Let me guess - more entertaining than the movie itself, right?

You bet! So was the straw in my soda.

I forgot to mention that this guy was seriously pissed off, too - the way he was shouting wasn't like "Wow it's Ben Grimm!", but "I'm gonna **(obscenity removed)**in kill you Ben Grimm!" He was moving that bottle like he was winding up for a fastball.