Cooke Panchro T2.8 or Zeiss Standard Prime T2.1

Need help to decide either a set of Cooke Panchro includes 25,32,50,75, 100 or the standard primes 16, 28, 40, 60 *macro, 85, 100, 180. I recently got budget for either set. I have rented the standard prime before. The images were consistantly very good and not a huge different compared to the ultra prime. I heard that the New Panchros are also great but with 1 stop slower. I'm leaning towards the used zeiss considering the set is cheaper and 1 stop faster. But really want to hear what you guys think about these two set.

I appreciate your comments.

• Premium Member

Need help to decide either a set of Cooke Panchro includes 25,32,50,75, 100 or the standard primes 16, 28, 40, 60 *macro, 85, 100, 180. I recently got budget for either set. I have rented the standard prime before. The images were consistantly very good and not a huge different compared to the ultra prime. I heard that the New Panchros are also great but with 1 stop slower. I'm leaning towards the used zeiss considering the set is cheaper and 1 stop faster. But really want to hear what you guys think about these two set.

I appreciate your comments.

Personally I would go with the Pancros, I like the cooke look. You have modern lenses with good lens spacing. 10 years ago you could not give away a set of Standards!

The wide Sandards porthole with digital sensors so you have to stop down to T2.8 or more in any case.

Personally I would go with the Pancros, I like the cooke look. You have modern lenses with good lens spacing. 10 years ago you could not give away a set of Standards!

The wide Sandards porthole with digital sensors so you have to stop down to T2.8 or more in any case.

Thank for your reply Stephen. I have seen the zeiss std spd 16mm on epic 4k, no porthole was seen. I like the cooke look too, but 2.8 might be little slow for me, since I shoot mostly closeup and low light. I don't know if anyone has compared cooke panchro and the S4. The reason why I consider the zeiss standard prime, because it is very very sharp even comparing to the ultra prime.

• Premium Member

Thank for your reply Stephen. I have seen the zeiss std spd 16mm on epic 4k, no porthole was seen. I like the cooke look too, but 2.8 might be little slow for me, since I shoot mostly closeup and low light. I don't know if anyone has compared cooke panchro and the S4. The reason why I consider the zeiss standard prime, because it is very very sharp even comparing to the ultra prime.

The 16mm portholes on Red Ome, set the lens wide open & look at a white / grey background. Stop down to 2.8/4 & it's gone. It's there for sure if you look!

you're right stephen, tested at the studio this morning with the 16mm. It does portholes unless stopping down 1 or 2 stop. Do you think 24/28/32 will also portholes at 4K? We only have a 16mm at this moment, and the 40mm/50mm look fine.

The 16mm Zeiss Standard portholes very obviously on Red One (4k), but the 24mm works well wide-open (I haven't tested it just to see if it portholes, but my footage, which was shot in low-light with lots of shadows, was OK, so if it portholes it wasn't that obvious).

• Premium Member

The 16mm Zeiss Standard portholes very obviously on Red One (4k), but the 24mm works well wide-open (I haven't tested it just to see if it portholes, but my footage, which was shot in low-light with lots of shadows, was OK, so if it portholes it wasn't that obvious).

From my testing the 24 was fine by 2.8 on a grey background at 2.1 it was noticeable.