FOR SALE: Zeiss Standard Primes

Joe Taylor

Beginning at 6:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time, June 23: Up for auction is a set of Zeiss Standard Distagon and Planar Primes in the 35mm Arri Standard/Bayonet Mount that are all in EXCELLENT Condition. I purchased these lenses in the spring of 2001 from the original owner who bought these lenses new in 1978 (with the exception of the oddball lens, the 24mm (a Flektogon-- more later) and used them to make travelogue films in Alaska. EBAY LINK

As used by me, these Zeiss Primes worked on my “A” Unit Camera on my award winning documentary film, Dead Lonesome, a labor-of-love project, filmed in glorious 35mm, about ghost towns and the mystique of the western landscape. You can experience Dead Lonesome and examples of these lenses work online here: DEAD LONESOME

Examples of these lenses at work on the Red ONE can be seen here: THE LONELY MOAN

After the completion of Dead Lonesome, I took delivery of a Red ONE digital cinema camera in 2008, and have used these Zeiss Primes on the Red ONE extensively. The Zeiss image circle covers the Red’s digital sensor throughout completely. I have posted several frame-grabs taken from the Red’s 4K image as examples of this lens’ ability in the digital age.

As mentioned earlier, I am the very proud 2nd owner of these primes and can attest to their condition. Cosmetically these lenses are in good to excellent condition with the only exception being the 32mm, which has a ding in the threaded portion of the upper barrel (seen in picture). This mar has absolutely no affect on its excellent optics or mechanics. The included 49mm Polarizer screws in nicely on the 32mm as it does on the entire set.

The only oddball lens in this set is the 24mm Zeiss Flektogon. It is indeed intended to work on Arri standard and/or bayonet mounts but the focusing apparatus is different than the Planar and Distagons. I bought this lens independently from the main set in 2002. I have contacted Arri and Zeiss and both partiers tell me that this was a specialized retro-focus lens mount made for medical cameras.

This lens package comes with a Pelican hard-shell case that is in very good condition. Also included are front and back lens caps.

I also have an Arri Mount to PL Mount adapter that allows these lenses to work like a charm on newer PL mounted cameras. Installation is a matter of slipping the PL mount over the Standard mount and gently tightening three setscrews. Easy as you please and done in less than a minute. I will throw in the PL adapter mount for an additional $60.

If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to phone me personally at (515) 238-0617 or if you prefer to contact me by email, my address is: Sales@Handcranked.com

Edited by Joe Taylor