Moviola Flatbed Problem

Peter Char

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone one was familiar with semi-common flatbed problems. My 16mm Moviola flatbed has started racing when it gets turned on. What do i need to replace in order to get it back tip top? Would it be a burnt fuse, lousy capacitor?

If you know a good forum to turn me onto I'd appreciate, that or someone with some know how in these machines.

Thanks again,

Peter C.

• Premium Member

I was wondering if anyone one was familiar with semi-common flatbed problems. My 16mm Moviola flatbed has started racing when it gets turned on. What do i need to replace in order to get it back tip top? Would it be a burnt fuse, lousy capacitor?

If you know a good forum to turn me onto I'd appreciate, that or someone with some know how in these machines.

I'm familiar with KEM's editors, not Moviola's, but maybe I can help.

It sounds like the servo system is not getting speed feedback. Have a look underneath the film drive capstan and see if there's what looks like a small ferris wheel on its side. That will be the mechanism that sends speed information back to the servo. It will be either magnetic or optical. If optical, look to see if the light source or photocell has a lot of dust on it, if so, clean it. If magnetic, the sensor coil may have gotten loose and is no longer as close as possible to its rotating wheel.

If you can find a schematic set somewhere on the web, let me know and I'll have a look at them.

• Premium Member

Hi guys,

Thanks again,

Peter C.

You should have a thumb-sized orange button on the right-hand corner. Depressing that should do it.

• 3 weeks later...

orange button is called de-clutch...nothing mechanical but that's one of the names for it...it basically de-activates the motors so you can move the transport back and forward...aside from that..

which model do you have m77 or m85?

when you turn on...does it go retard speed forward or 10x speed? like you just turned the nob all forward

before that problem started did it used to jerk the film when running at sync speed? (when running in lock)

does all 3 transports run full speed or just one? when you turn on without moving anything

if you press the de-clutch does the motor stop?

rarely the bi-phase optical encoder dies on the moviola motors...probably kollmorgen motors.

there are several little things that go before the encoder on the motor goes bad...

so i'll rule that out.

let me know...after that we go to phase two of the tests...

give me a call if you want 480-213-6808

Jon

Hi guys,

Thanks again,

Peter C.

Look up and to the right. See the Google or search bar? Type in Moviola Repair.