Made video for my Arriflex battery question and loading help

Phil Thompson

I made a little video to highlight my dilema

<snip>

So what you're after is a 12V battery with a 4-pin (female) XLR connector on it that will plug in the end of your existing lead to power the camera?

Might I suggest you take a look at some of the recent threads and posts I made regarding leads and batteries for the Arri 16S for Flavio Filho , this post in particular.

You need a 12V sealed lead acid battery, some spade connectors compatible with the battery terminals, a pair of crimpers for those connectors, a 4-pin female XLR connector, some solder, a soldering iron, a bit of two core cable.

Standard wiring on XLR connectors

Pin 1 on the XLR connector is 0V (-)

Pin 4 on the XLR connector is 12V (+)

All the parts are available off the shelf at shops such as Maplin. If you refer to the two recent threads concerning the Arri 16S batterys/cables you'll even find references to Maplin part numbers. The only thing you might want to double check is what capacity (amp hour rating) the battery needs to be for the 16BL, you might need a larger battery than those discussed for the 16S.

Edited by Ian Cooper

So what you're after is a 12V battery with a 4-pin (female) XLR connector on it that will plug in the end of your existing lead to power the camera?

Got it in one.

Might I suggest you take a look at some of the recent threads and posts I made regarding leads and batteries for the Arri 16S for Flavio Filho , this post in particular.

Incredibly helpful!!

You need a 12V sealed lead acid battery, some spade connectors compatible with the battery terminals, a pair of crimpers for those connectors, a 4-pin female XLR connector, some solder, a soldering iron, a bit of two core cable.

I'm debating slashing my XLR lead. Though they're not rare are they..?

Standard wiring on XLR connectors

Pin 1 on the XLR connector is 0V (-)

Pin 4 on the XLR connector is 12V (+)

All the parts are available off the shelf at shops such as Maplin. If you refer to the two recent threads concerning the Arri 16S batterys/cables you'll even find references to Maplin part numbers. The only thing you might want to double check is what capacity (amp hour rating) the battery needs to be for the 16BL, you might need a larger battery than those discussed for the 16S.

You are a top man sir. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into helping me. If you're in London I can help you out filming or something.

Just found this site. I could buy the bits and put it together or spend 50 on this slick version.. Probably cost me 35 once im all done. For the sake for 15 quid and potentially making a gigantic balls up, probably just buy the deben spec.

What do you reckon?

I'm up in the Midlands on the Welsh border, but thank you for the offer all the same. Your link to the commercial battery doesn't seem to have come through, but I get the impression you're thinking about home construction again...

As for battery size, I've just had a look at the ARRI 16BL manual and found it's a bit short on battery information beyond saying its 12V! The FilmCameraKit offering is 3.8Ah. My Eclair is rated to run 4000ft of film from a 4Ah battery, I don't know how long the ARRI will last, but around 4Ah is probably as good a starting point as any.

So, a Maplin 12V 4.2Ah SLA battery, order code L53AC would be £28.99

Alternatively a quick google finds:

12V 4Ah SLA for £19.47 from "Hardware Express"

12V 3.3Ah SLA for £6.16 from "Battery Masters"

I guess you'll need a battery charger for it:

£19.87 from Battery Masters.

£20.41 from Hardware Express.

£21.99 from Maplin.

Now you've got a charged battery you need to connect it to the camera. The batteries use 1/4" spade connectors, so you'll want some nice insulated female connectors,

1/4" Female Lucar Spade Connectors, Maplin JH81C £1.59 for a pack of 10.

A cheap & cheerful crimp tool combined with wire strippers etc. can set you back £10.99 (Maplin FY31J), or alternatively you could get a combined set incorporating a crimp tool and selection of crimps for £7.29 (Maplin YP96E). If you're on a really tight budget then the crimps can be closed using a pair of pliers (carefully with the wire cutter part), but it's very much a bodge and I wouldn't recommend it.

Any old bit of wire capable of carrying a couple of amps will be suitable. A metre of domestic 3A two core flex will set you back £1.19 from Maplin (order code XS91Y), you might want to use 7 or 8" of it!

Finally you'll need a female 4-pin XLR connector, Maplin Stock Code L39AZ will do you for £3.89, but they show only whilst stocks last, so if you have difficulty then a quick google will bring plenty of alternative suppliers, eg. CPC order code CN00323 £3.58

You'll need to solder the XLR connector to the cable (XLR pin numbers will be molded into the plastic), so if you don't already have one, then a soldering iron will be needed. Maplin do a basic no frills model for £9.99 (Order Code N38AC). A bit of solder wouldn't go amiss either! (Maplin N34BJ £3.99)

So for less than £35 you can have a battery, charger and connecting lead to run your camera. A further £20 spent on tools will get you the crimpers, soldering iron and solder to actually build it, and will possibly come in handy for jobs in the future.

Total cost £55.

...potentially making a gigantic balls up, probably just buy the deben spec.

What do you reckon?

PS: Don't worry too much about having a go yourself. Making a lead up isn't difficult, you just need to double check you get the polarity right (not difficult) when you connect up to the battery.

I'm sure there are many who would turn a pale colour as you described how to load a 16BL magazine in a darkroom/bag and then the procedure to thread the film through the camera ready for shooting ;)