Underwater DP/Operator needed!!!!

Apu

If you are an underwater DP and are located in the NY/Upstate NY area, we need your services for one shot. The action is: the actor simply falls face first into water and sinks. The water can be anywhere- pool, pond, whatever - just has to be liquid thats all. The time of day too can be anytime - day, night, indoor, outdoor, it doesnt matter as far as the narrative is concerned. We're shooting the rest of the film on 16mm, with a 1:1.33 aspect ratio. I'd like to shoot this shot on 16mm too. If you own lights but no camera, all we have is an Aaton LTR7 at our disposal. I can arrange for a Bolex and if it really comes down to it, I can probably pull some strings and procure an XTR Prod body for a few hours/overnight (as I know the XTR has a housing for rent from Abel Cine) but it may be conditional (as in, someone else may need it back for their shoot after we're done).

Please email me at apuchandola@gmail.com or call my cell at (917) 340-9020 if you are interested. This shot is essential to the narrative - so important that we are willing to rework everything around you and your needs. Our tentative shooting date for this shot was March 24th, 2005 and we have a pool in Ithaca at your disposal but we can easily change that to fit your schedule. We are even willing to travel out to where you are to get this, as its probably easier for us to bring our actor/lights out to you, than for you to come to us. Of course by "lights" I mean the ones you keep dry - away from any water. :)

If you're too busy and can't do this one shot but know someone who may -- even if he/she is several states over, please do reply and let me know this person's name/contact. Once again, this is for UNDERWATER DP's/Operators only or anyone who know's any, preferably in or around the Upstate NY area.

The rest of the shoot is taking place in Ithaca, NY and Buffalo, NY starting on March 24th going on till April 4th.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Yes, even though we're broke starving students, we will rustle together enough to pay you for your services, provided its not too outrageous, that is :)

If you are an underwater DP and are located in the NY/Upstate NY area, we need your services for one shot. The action is: the actor simply falls face first into water and sinks. The water can be anywhere- pool, pond, whatever - just has to be liquid thats all. The time of day too can be anytime - day, night, indoor, outdoor, it doesnt matter as far as the narrative is concerned. We're shooting the rest of the film on 16mm, with a 1:1.33 aspect ratio. I'd like to shoot this shot on 16mm too. If you own lights but no camera, all we have is an Aaton LTR7 at our disposal. I can arrange for a Bolex and if it really comes down to it, I can probably pull some strings and procure an XTR Prod body for a few hours/overnight (as I know the XTR has a housing for rent from Abel Cine) but it may be conditional (as in, someone else may need it back for their shoot after we're done).

Please email me at apuchandola@gmail.com or call my cell at (917) 340-9020 if you are interested. This shot is essential to the narrative - so important that we are willing to rework everything around you and your needs. Our tentative shooting date for this shot was March 24th, 2005 and we have a pool in Ithaca at your disposal but we can easily change that to fit your schedule. We are even willing to travel out to where you are to get this, as its probably easier for us to bring our actor/lights out to you, than for you to come to us. Of course by "lights" I mean the ones you keep dry - away from any water. :)

If you're too busy and can't do this one shot but know someone who may -- even if he/she is several states over, please do reply and let me know this person's name/contact. Once again, this is for UNDERWATER DP's/Operators only or anyone who know's any, preferably in or around the Upstate NY area.

The rest of the shoot is taking place in Ithaca, NY and Buffalo, NY starting on March 24th going on till April 4th.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Yes, even though we're broke starving students, we will rustle together enough to pay you for your services, provided its not too outrageous, that is :)

So, can broke starving students come in Croatia and do a proper underwater shot?

Just kidding! I am sure some of my colleagues here will respond regarding your request, since that they are a little bit closer to your location.

Best of luck

Haha, Dinko "I have a visual" Rupcic... long time my friend... well you know you spent so much time getting that underwater certification while u were stateside... im sure you could shoot it but you had to go back to Croatia to your Soap Operas now didnt you ... tut tut tut

Anyhow the project is top secret so dont mention anything to anyone we both know.. no one at the university even knows im involved save for Eric. Keep it hush hush. This one will be special though, i can feel it my bones ... am shooting plus-x and sticking to a gritty noiresque look but not quite 100% noir.. will first bring up my ambient room tone levels by bouncing light off surfaces around me, then use a single source strong hard key on Matt Silver (the actor), and then employ a low soft eyelight/fill ... Silver plays a troubled mental patient on his deathbed

Do u remember the photo room? Remember those density filters we'd use under the printing light. What would happen if one were in front of the lens? Would it affect my contrast on the negative like it does the positive? I'm just curious thats all. You cant change the shutter angle on the LTR can you? I believe its a 180 degree shutter ... i would like for less blur and was hoping for a 90 or 45 degree shutter but i dont know if thats possible with the LTR. Do you know of any other way to achieve this look with that camera, other than post?

Good to hear from you friend. I've just discovered this great resource so ill be online a lot more. Its a great way to keep in touch with old friends in Europe. Give my regards to Ivana and keep your smelly ass out of trouble and lemme know if you get something big out there and need a clapper/loader. I've perfected my Channa Masala and Chicken Curry *wink*

Edited by Apu

doesn't sound like we're a match but just in case, i have access to an 8mm camera w/ underwater housing.  i'm in la.

Ooo 8mm w/ underwater housing...very cool... Although I'd love to take that road trip again (last time I went I-70 for most of the way), I don't know if we have the time or money to drive/fly out all the way to LA for this one shot. But if no one else replies than who knows - I will email you. Thanks none the less for replying. Cheers! ~ Apu :)

LTR, no go.

Try bolex instead, spring motor bolex not the el model, el has 170 shutter.

Bolex has the shutter angle of 130.

And I think you can close it a bit more, there is a 1/2 and 1 option on the camera.

1/2 closes it to 65, and 1 will close it to 32-35 depending on the model.

Also I think bolex rex-1 will have starting shutter of 145 angle but that doesn't change things much. Also if you plan using the same lens on LTR and on bolex be sure to test the lens for back focus issues.

Regarding polycontrast filters ranging from magenta to yellow-correct me if I am not right on that, they are made for polycontrast b/w papers.

Polycontrast papers have multiple layers and you activate contrast layers by exposing the right one using the right color and thus they will give you the right contrast.

So if you want to make magenta or yellow go a little bit whiter use them.

hey, mail me instead and send me your instant messenger nick

Let's continue this discussion (if you want to), in the section by where this topic belongs to.

Best, keep warm Apu

Take care!!

Guest Frank Gossimier

I'm just over the border in Ontario.

I can shoot this for you with a three chip DV camera, and I have the housing for it.

You could always effect or "film look" the DV with your NLE. It's been done before.

Look on the bright side you can get a lot of takes on a one hour tape :D

If you're going to DVD and don't need theatre projection then a DV shot would probably work for you.

I'm not so desperate for work that I really need to do this for you, I just like doing any underwater work, the money isn't that big of a deal.

If we're working in a pool you can rent me a scuba tank, I have the rest of the dive gear. It's tough to do any underwater work with no SCUBA gear on.

Heck I assume we'd be working in a pool. Very chilly out there right now.

Frank

I'm just over the border in Ontario.

I can shoot this for you with a three chip DV camera, and I have the housing for it.

You could always effect or "film look" the DV with your NLE.  It's been done before.

Look on the bright side you can get a lot of takes on a one hour tape  :D

If you're going to DVD and don't need theatre projection then a DV shot would probably work for you.

I'm not so desperate for work that I really need to do this for you, I just like doing any underwater work, the money isn't that big of a deal.

If we're working in a pool you can rent me a scuba tank, I have the rest of the dive gear.  It's tough to do any underwater work with no SCUBA gear on.

Heck I assume we'd be working in a pool.  Very chilly out there right now.

Frank

Frank,

Whats your phone number? I just talked to the director Eric and he lives in Buffalo so ur just a bit north from him. He'd like to speak to you -- it looks like we may take u up on ur offer. I doubt if we'll find anyone else this close to us.

So yeah... just lemme know ur phone number and he'll give u a call. Unfortunately, I wont be able to make it across the border as I'm not a US citizen --- actually, my passport was stolen along with my jacket about a month ago and im saving up to get the $200 i need for a new one ... its so tough to save the little money I earn because now Storaro is comin to Boston and i cant miss that *grin*... u can see where my priorities are :)

What lights do you own (if any?). I'll speak to u soon to finalize things. If we are coming out to you, two things we'll need you to look into (when you have the time) are:

1. We'll need a body of water (if u have a pool or know of one near by - great!)

2. The scuba tank (I'm sure we'll be able to rent somewhere locally, if u know anyone or a place, that'll be a big help)

And yes it is cold out there at the moment ... I'll let you and Eric pick a good date to shoot this. Probably a nice sunny day would be the best.

My warmest regards and we look forward to collaborating with you,

Apu

Guest Frank Gossimier

As for lights...I assume we will shoot in a pool.

The best way really is to use some 2Ks etc around the pool and point them down into the water.

Underwater lights are low power unless you get some James Cameron style lighting down there which I think is out of your budget :D

Frank

Phone number e-mailed.

• 2 months later...
Guest Dom Zanghi

What the hell does Dinko know?! He might be stuck in some airport terminal @ JFK and not be able to get into the US or back in to Crocotia!

Dinko, email me please! B)

~Dom

depthoffield@comcast.net

(what is this? an ithaca reunion?)

Guys, the u/w shot that I needed has been shot ... I lit and operated myself with help from a professional scuba instructor who happened to be the directors dad.

Rented a GL1 housing from Florida, $200 for three days. Once underwater, it took a little bit to get used to but I quickly got the hang of it and did multiple takes. Honestly, the hardest part was getting the GL1 secured inside the housing itself and opening the viewfinder so I could see what I was shooting. Don't attempt to do this without anti-fogging fluid otherwise your scuba mask will keep fogging up and you won't be able to see what you;re shooting. I was very pleased with the footage. I'll try to post some stills once the director gets me a copy of the DVD.

Thank you all for your help. Dom, i've emailed u the details.

What the hell does Dinko know?!  He might be stuck in some airport terminal @ JFK and not be able to get into the US or back in to Crocotia!

Dinko, email me please! B)

~Dom

depthoffield@comcast.net

(what is this? an ithaca reunion?)