Shooting Canon HDSLR's for Scripted TV

Graham Bremner

Anyone out there have an opinion on the best choice for setup on a couple 5D's for television. In talking with my camera ops and assistants we have mixed opinions. From what I've read HD frame rate is 23.967fps, yet the guidelines from the cable channel are to be output at 29.97fps. My question is there a disadvantage to shooting a more cinematic look at 24fps and using the post output to satisfy the company desire for the NTSC 29.97fps. Or do you just shoot 30fps? If any one has some good resources for this type of situation would love to look into it.

thanks

• 1 month later...

I can understand your need for 24p I can't stand footage that is in any other frame rate.

If you shoot 1080 progressive at 24fps, you would need to convert it by 3-2 pull-down to 1080i/30

If you shoot 24p it would be NTSC and PAL compatible as well. There is some troubles with converting 30i or 60p

Please correct me if im wrong but there's not much difference between 30 or 29.97 its a TV thing where they drop like 2 frames a minute or technically skip over them,

stick with 24fps then convert in post.