What flavour of HDCAMSR for Sin City?

Mike Brennan

No information on the net about exactly what went on with Sin City.

What mode of HDCAM SR format was Sin City recorded in?

4:2:2 @ 2.7:1 compression?

4:4:4 SQ mode @ 4.2:1 compression?

4:4:4 at HQ mode @ 2:1 compression? (880 Mbs mode)

No guessing please:)

Mike Brennan

Robert Rodriguez owns all his own gear. While I knew he owns two F900's, I'm not sure if he's upgraded to the 950's or not.

Considering the number of projects he's shot using his 900's, I'm sure he's gotten his money's worth out of them. And considering that he's mentioned that they're eager to upgrade to 10-bit, I wouldn't be surprised if he's shooting Sin City in SR.

• Premium Member

It was most likely shot with the SQ mode, the reason for this is there arent any studio decks that will play back HQ material. To play back HQ material you would have to play back from the field unit (SRW-1).

• Premium Member
It was most likely shot with the SQ mode, the reason for this is there arent any studio decks that will play back HQ material.  To play back HQ material you would have to play back from the field unit (SRW-1).

I still don't understand why Sony didn't put that feature into the SR studio decks.

• Premium Member

The studio deck and the field recorder have to different transport systems. The SRW-1 has the new transport system with the motor that spins twice as fast as the old one(For HQ mode). From what I've heard the HQ mode was originally designed specifically for stereo mode for 3D work, so work on the HQ mode started after the SRW-5000's were already released.