KODACHROME processed as B&W Reversal & Sepia

Martin Baumgarten

Since my lab offers custom manual cine film processing, I thought discuss what 'good' KODACHROME KMA-40 film processed as B&W Reversal and in Sepia looks like. However, I can't seem to figure out how to upload the iamges....but will email them to anyone that asks so you can see how they look.

So, don't throw any unused KODACHROME film away, it can still be used. I'd rather shoot B&W or Sepia SOUND film, than not have any sound film at all. For that matter, all my frozen silent stock of Super 8mm or Regular 8mm can still be used. Of course, Sepia tone processing in reversal looks great with conventional B&W Films such as TRI-X, PLUS-X and FOMA R-100.....more brown and different from what KODACHROME looks like. The Sepia tint seems to almost glow in highlight areas.

The image quality on KODACHROME processed as Black & White Reversal varies. If the films are old or poorly stored, there are sometimes some yellow stains or streaks, or some other oddities. Done in Sepia, all B&W positive silver is converted and even the base takes on a Sepia tone, so less chance of any yellow stains ever being noticable since there's such a strong tint bias. I've seen image quality all over the range as I get film in for processing. I've gotten good results from Regular 8mm as well. The film does have to be pushed a bit in order to get 'normal' density from films rated at ISO 25 Daylight (with Filter....helpful if you want to gain cloud details) or ISO 40 (without Filter)....which is what most Super 8 cameras rate the film at. If you wanted the film processed without any pushing, it would have to rated around ISO 10, which is quite slow. I really haven't noticed any significant grain change either way....but will conduct some more tests of my own since I still have plenty of my own cold-stored stock in the freezer.

Lastly, 'good' KODACHROME film can be processed four different ways:

(1). B&W Reversal

(2). B&W Sepia Tone Reversal

(3). B&W continous tone negative [using a good continous tone B&W Negative Developer such as D-76 etc]

(4). B&W high contrast negative [b&W Reversal Process without Reversal]

Hope this helps shed some light on a filmstock, that while no longer processable in Color Reversal, can still be used as B&W.

Martin's work in hand processing is seconded by none, at least as far as I can speak for, in the 48 contiguous states. He taught me everything I know about hand-processing, processing control, and motion picture film rewind processing, drying.

Here, it's easiest to set up a Photobucket account, then link to the images you upload there, Martin.

Good idea. Sorry for having to go to an outside URL, I thought it was easily possible to just upload a photo on this forum. Here are some image samples. While not the highest quality scans, they will give you an idea of what 'good' KODACHROME processed as either B&W Reversal or in Sepia tone Reversal look like. Saves having to email them I suppose.

Link:

http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb361/MartinBaumgarten/