Any Suggestions?

Ryan Finkelstein

Hey Everyone. This is my first post here, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me. I shot my last two videos with a Canon T3i, and for some reason my footage just doesn't seem to "pop" as much as other t3i footage I've seen. Also, does anyone have any suggestions for shot composition, etc? A lot of what we shot was in a very limited space so it was hard to shoot everyone straight on. My vimeo account is vimeo.com/silencefiction.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure what you mean by front on, Because you wouldn't want to shoot people front on it would be breaking the "rule of thirds",

anyway your stuff looks good, I just would suggest working with the lighting a little more in each scene avoid dull, bland colors especially grey's, keep more positive color's also if you have the time you can color grade a bit to make it stand out tho for doco's I could see much point.

Also I noticed with one of the videos you had allot of the people dead on, try putting them really slightly in on direction, people dont like the look of things strait on, also some shots were out of focus, but otherwise I really think you had some nice looking, great shot's. Just keep at it. you only learn through mistakes.

Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds

Ps. your lens can make a difference to your picture quality

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Everyone. This is my first post here, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me. I shot my last two videos with a Canon T3i, and for some reason my footage just doesn't seem to "pop" as much as other t3i footage I've seen. Also, does anyone have any suggestions for shot composition, etc? A lot of what we shot was in a very limited space so it was hard to shoot everyone straight on. My vimeo account is vimeo.com/silencefiction.

From what I can see a couple of your shots are a bit soft. Getting really crisp focus is surprisingly difficult with DSLRs but I think it's critical to get that "pop." Other than that I think your footage looks pretty good. I think it would be improved in post with color grading, crushing the blacks a bit. Also a sharpen plugin could help.

Getting great shots that stand out are really 100 little things rather than any 1 thing. But I think for the most part your footage looks pretty good.