HDC X300

Mike Brennan

• Premium Member

We've had one in our showroom for about 6 months now, and I got to play with it a bit. It's a nice camera and the image quality is almost as good as the F-900's. The picture is noisier in the shadows and midtones. And the camera uses a half inch imager, so you can't use your standard B4 lenses. But the lens that comes with the camera is a pretty decent lens from Canon.

If you have any more specific questions about the camera I would be happy to answer them.

We've had one in our showroom for about 6 months now, and I got to play with it a bit.  It's a nice camera and the image quality is almost as good as the F-900's.  The picture is noisier in the shadows and midtones.  And the camera uses a half inch imager, so you can't use your standard B4 lenses.  But the lens that comes with the camera is a pretty decent lens from Canon.

If you have any more specific questions about the camera I would be happy to answer them.

Elhanan its a rare beast in Europe! I've had a play at the trade shows...

Is the 1/2 inch mount physically different from 2/3 inch?

I know there are electronic connections, ignoring these is the physical connection the same as B4?

Could you shoe-horn on say a B4 wide angle zoom?

Since this 1440x1080 pixel count is also becomming standard for future "low def" HD camcorders I'm curious as to if it could be used for B roll or stunt work where high quality is expected, hence the question about the lens.

I see that a new 18x is going to be released for it at NAB.

Have you tried SD 1/2 inch lenses on it ? The canon lens that comes with it costs only $5k!

Yet canon keep saying it is HD lens

thanks

Mike Brennan

• Premium Member
Elhanan its a rare beast in Europe!

Kind of rare here too, not too many people use it.

Is the 1/2 inch mount physically different from 2/3 inch?

It's the same half inch mount that is on the cheaper Sony DSR cameras. It's a little bit smaller, but looks almost identical to a B4 mount.

Since this 1440x1080 pixel count is also becomming standard for future "low def" HD camcorders I'm curious as to if it could be used for B roll or stunt work where high quality is expected, hence the question about the lens.

Yes you could use the X300 for B roll work, I'm not sure how conveniant it would be; don't forget you need some sort of field recorder (IMHO, it would be easier to shoot B roll on the HDV camera). I havent had the chance to project the Canon lens yet (our lens projector only takes 2/3 inch lenses) so I can't really judge it yet.

It's a pretty neat camera, but I personally prefer the Ikegami box camera. It's about the same size as the sony, but has a 2/3 inch imager.