Develop Old 16mm Film?

I was given some unexposed 16mm negative Kodak Vision 250D film and took some footage with them to test a camera. The most recent date on the box I can find is 2002.

After exposing, they were misplaced and have not been in a fridge for over two months.

Should I even bother getting them developed? I shot the footage to see if a camera I've gotten works properly, so I don't need a high quality transfer - just good enough to know that the lighting and stabilization inside the camera is fine.

• Premium Member

Should I even bother getting them developed? I shot the footage to see if a camera I've gotten works properly, so I don't need a high quality transfer - just good enough to know that the lighting and stabilization inside the camera is fine.

Why not just have the negative developed. You can probably tell what you want just from looking at that. Roll it carefully, and you can still get it printed / transfered later if you think it looks good.

The advice I was given was overexpose by about a stop to overcome the base fog of old film and then push one stop for each decade of age.

I shot some decade old film earlier this year, it was EXR stock maybe 200T. I did the above advice, processed and printed by Niagara Custom Lab, looked great, that is it was great for what it was. Contrast wasn't great and it was grainier than normal but with good colour.