Why the censorship, Tim?

Matthew W. Phillips

• Premium Member

But that’s the fact; you ARE only a lowly movie watcher, and I am too. Some of these guys are working on a level Joseph Arch couldn’t possibly imagine. They’re doing things more sophisticated than most people's absolute favorite films, and you guys wouldn't have any idea, because you aren’t on their level. That’s why the less experienced filmmakers, who yell at the experienced, are really, simply, obnoxious.

I can see where this is going so I am done with this thread. I would respectfully request that this thread be locked unless someone has something else useful to say.

Thanks David for clarifying all of that. Like I said, I probably took it wrong.

• Premium Member

I think that David Mullen and Shelly Johnson are great. But I admit, I am part of the new generation of anti-class based anarchists who find titles quite...

This attitude sets you and your peers up to have to figure everything out for yourselves. No one with years of education and experience (which is exactly where those initials after people's names came from) is going to commit self-abuse by mentoring someone who is resentful of the time, treasure, and just plain hard work the mentor spent to gain their professional knowledge.

ASC membership is by sponsorship, it's an acknowledgement by one's peers that one has attained that level of expertise that makes them a worthy member of the fraternity. I've had the occasion more than once to have a one-on-one conversation with an ASC member. Every time I've walked away having learned a good deal more about the art and science of making a picture than I knew before that conversation.

My day business requires a great deal of technical, engineering, and scientific knowledge of a very specific area that took me over thirty-five years to attain. From time-to-time I've given that knowledge to members here and on a couple of other sites. Most the time my two cents worth has been received well but over on a different forum I got flamed for a post where I proposed an accessory for a particular camera's power supply. I had prototyped the circuit, tested it on my camera, drew up a schematic which I attached to the post...and a snot on that forum attacked my design because he personally didn't see the need for it. He seemed to miss that point that accessories are things you may, or may not, need depending on how you use YOUR camera. It is indeed one of those forums discussed earlier in this thread where rude people are allowed to hide behind handles.

(PS: Unique thread, 90% of the posts are by Sustaining Members!)