hard/atmospheric light style? Am I allowed?

Ive always had an interest in expressionistic/stylilzed lighting, and found myself prefering the boldness of hard light while practicing setups (I'm a total beginner).

Now, I found an textbook that outlines a technique for what the author refers to as an atmospheric (rather than a motivated) approach, where (largely unmotivated) pools of hard light are used to selectively light areas of the set. I am noticing the style in my favorite 70's movies, and most notably in Pulp Fiction. I love this look, and am wondering if it would be a waste of time to pursue; I know audiences today respond best to softer more apparently natural light. Am i just going to circle back after practicing this technique, and realize that noone "buys" this look anymore?

• Premium Member

Hard light is great sometimes, if you can do it well. Trouble is that if you do it badly, it looks cheap, if you do it well, it looks classy. It's a fine line and to some degree, production design is also a factor because all of that hard light is going to make everything pop out more -- cheap make-up, bad colors, badly constructed and painted sets, etc.

But I think everyone should master hard lighting as a part of basic cinematographer skills, whether one uses it or not.

Some hard-lit frames that happen to be on my computer right now:

blacknarcissus1.jpg

blacknarcissus4.jpg

citizenkane1.jpg

elephantman4.jpg

innocents1.jpg

innocents3.jpg