Pathe DS8 400ft Magazine with motor and cables

Oscar Hurtado

Hi, I own a Pathe DS8 Professional BTL camera and would like to buy some of the accessories these cameras could have. I'm specifically looking for the 400ft magazine with the motor and cables for it. I'm also interested in the compendium for the lens. Anyone out there has any or all of these accessories and is willing to sell? I'm looking for these parts in excellent to mint condition only. Thanks

400 feet DS-8???

That equals 16 cartridges of S8 :)

That is a lot of footage. 40 minutes at 25fps

And you want to shoot all of these without processing in between?

I own a Elmo C300 Trifilmatic with DS-8 back (and all others). I find these 100 ft rolls to seem to take forever. Should be good for travel but then only by car as the camera is too heavy for anything else. Although I did use it with a shoulder bag with a very wide strap during a few days in Paris.

It makes you like Robert Capa, a very famous photographer who is often shown with a ciné camera to his face :)

Edited by Andries Molenaar

• 2 months later...

400 feet DS-8???

That equals 16 cartridges of S8 :)

That is a lot of footage. 40 minutes at 25fps

And you want to shoot all of these without processing in between?

I own a Elmo C300 Trifilmatic with DS-8 back (and all others). I find these 100 ft rolls to seem to take forever. Should be good for travel but then only by car as the camera is too heavy for anything else. Although I did use it with a shoulder bag with a very wide strap during a few days in Paris.

It makes you like Robert Capa, a very famous photographer who is often shown with a ciné camera to his face :)

Yes, indeed that's a lot of super 8 footage you can achieve... It's more of an experimental project I have. I have managed to find the magazine and motor already so I just need to find a way to hook it all up and test it. It's really as professional as you can get with DS8, the downside is the lack of parts for these cameras and repair service.

I haven't tried the Elmo, but I've shot myself in Paris as well with the Zenit DS8 cameras and they were perfect for it. Still not very light but not as heavy as this Pathe. The lens also produces OK images.

Robert is great, a real master of photojournalism. :)

400 feet DS-8???

It makes you like Robert Capa, a very famous photographer who is often shown with a ciné camera to his face

Of course I meant to write: It makes you look like Robert Capa.

meaning: like he appears in this often used photo from the spanish war in which he holds a ciné camera to his face. The camera there is distinct because of the two protruding roll magazine.

A bit odd for somebody who became famous because of his still-photo reports. Not to start a discussion about that :)

BTW when ran with external batteries the C300 with DS-8 is quite a reporters camera too. Really nice for weddings an such.

Makes a nice impression and it gives a lot of length and quick change magazine for effect change.

Although the DS8 magazine has no light trapping door on the gate opening. :(

Edited by Andries Molenaar