Arri 35-III 12v Battery Question, Safe vs Dangerous Voltages

Alan Hill

I'm looking at building some battery packs for a 35-3 and I had just a few odd questions:

1. Is the 12v battery really just that? In that I mean that certain systems that say they are 12v actually are more like 13v fully charged and by the time they are passing 12v, you don't have much power left.

2. Would there be any advantage, or danger of using 13.2 volt batteries? I know there wouldn't be a problem with one battery hooked up, since the camera can be powered up to 24v for highspeed photography. But would 26.4v harm any of the electronics, or is it close enough not to do any harm? Anyone know the working range of the 35-3?

Thanks,

Shoot Film! It really gives you that "Film" look!

Edited by Alan Hill

• Premium Member

Yes for very high speeds and 1000 ft loads 12V batteries are often not enough.

On occasion we've used 14.4V batteries without problem so 13.2V is definitely fine.

The upper limit of the motor electronics tolerance is around 35V I've been told (so two 14.4V batteries fully charged are sailing pretty close to the wind).

• 3 weeks later...

Dom,

Thanks for the info from Australia none the less. We managed to build a battery pack and get the old beast up and running. Even at high speed. With everyone bailing out on film here in Los Angeles a few of us are still having some fun getting that "Film Look" by actually shooting film. It still looks great and you don't have everyone on the set second guessing you on the flatscreen. No need for a tent city either. I don't mind the extra expense of processing and transfer. It seems to keep talent on their toes when they know we are filming and not shooting video. With video there always seems to be that, "Oh well, we can always just do another take, after all it's free" attitude.

I'll be sad to see film go. But I'm sure people waxed poetic about B&W film too.

Thanks,

Alan

Yes for very high speeds and 1000 ft loads 12V batteries are often not enough.

On occasion we've used 14.4V batteries without problem so 13.2V is definitely fine.

The upper limit of the motor electronics tolerance is around 35V I've been told (so two 14.4V batteries fully charged are sailing pretty close to the wind).